StoreEver Tape Storage
1748213 Members
3109 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1/8 G2 1760 External unit only backs up 80gb per tape

Mark.Sinclair

HP 1/8 G2 1760 External unit only backs up 80gb per tape

Hi, we have an external HP 1/8 G2 1760 tape unit using LTO-4 tapes, The tape backups where going smoothly for about a week, and then all of a sudden, it was spanning to multiple tapes, at that stage in total we had 400Gb of data to be backed up, it would backup 20-30Gb on the first tape and would come up with an error saying "error 4042: end of data", then it would wait there until it was prompted to load the next tape and backup the rest of 370Gb of data on to the 2nd tape, over the past few weeks, this has now gotten to a point where yesterday it took, 6 days to backup 800+Gb of data onto 6 tapes, keep in mind each LTO-4 tape can hold 800Gb of data natively or 1.6Tb compressed, so there is no possible reason for the backups to span to multiple tapes.

Over the last few weeks, I have tried the following:

* Blow away the existing schedule and settings on HP Data Protector Express (Single Server Edition) and re-create, still to no avail
* I noticed that both hardware & software compression were both switched on and decided to switch off hardware compression, still to no avail

so far the errors i have seen are:
* error 4042: end of data
* Cant read barcode label
* Invalid media

For example, last night's backup kicked off at 11pm and stopped after 96Gb of data was backed up, so all night it was waiting for a prompt to continue, which i prompted this morning and backed up 43Gb of data on to tape 2, now it is using tape 3 and so far has backed up 80Gb of data, not sure when this will finish.

Hoping if anyone else has had an issue similar to this and the resolution was.

6 REPLIES 6
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP 1/8 G2 1760 External unit only backs up 80gb per tape

Yoou are porbably appending to all media. If you go into jobs and media then double click until you get to click on a media, how many data has been writen to the media ?
Also you should only do hardware compression not any sfotware compression.

Tape Drive Killer
Pablo Alv Siles
Mark.Sinclair

I have checked the media properties and it only writes small amounts of data on each tape, but the properties for each tape say:

For example
Media Type: LTO-4
Size Written: 74.84Gb
Native Total Capacity: 781.47Gb
Native Remaining capacity: 724.13Gb
Compression Ratio: 1.3:1
First Used: 09/15/2008 11:12:05pm
Last Written: 09/15/2008 11:12:16pm
Last Read: 09/19/2008 11:53:44am

I will switch the compression to hardware, but not sure if this will help, because the Native Remaining Capaicty says that 724.13Gb is still remaining to use
Mark.Sinclair

I also noticed that when i logoff the server as soon as i tell it to use another tape, it thinks it has reached the end of the tape and stops, if i stay logged on longer it backs up a lot more data, for example i stayed logged on to the server for about 45min. and it had backed up ~300Gb of data, i tested this theory and logged off and logged back on 15 minutes later and sure enough it had stopped backing up and asking for another tape, has anyone come across this problem before?
Mark.Sinclair

I tested my theory tonight, by staying logged on to the server while the backup kicked off, but it still only wrote something like 12Gb and said that end of media was reached.

This is what i did:
put 4 tapes in and ran an erase and format over them and kicked off the backup, the first tape it picked up in slot 1 came up with "the library was unable to read the bar code on the cartridge", it spat that tape out and moved in the tape from slot 2 and wrote 12Gb to the tape and said that it reached the end of the media and spat that out too. I then cancelled the backup job.

Can someone please help me with this problem
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

havent seen this before there are some fixex on build 37634 make sure you have this version of dpe if not then upgrade to this hotfix.

.iso cd image file
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&prodNameId=1144275&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-58946-1

If this is critical call dpe support at 800 633 3600 opt1 opt2 "LTO Tape Proliant" Have the tape storage agent do a quick test on the hardware then ask for dpe support. I work on business hours.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Mark.Sinclair

Hi,

An HP engineer and myself were running diagnostic tests unsing the HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools and the engineer has informed me that the actual drive unit will need replacing.

Thanks a lot for your input, we will see how DPE behaves with the new drive unit.