1753288 Members
5649 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 14GB Travan / XP / SCM

CA790506
Occasional Contributor

HP 14GB Travan / XP / SCM

I've had a 14 GB Travan on the shelf for a while now. Plan on installing it in my XP system using BackupMYPC.

What is this SCM driver I've been hearing about ?

I thought BackupMYPC contained the required driver.
7 REPLIES 7
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 14GB Travan / XP / SCM

If you have an internal 14Gb drive then it should work with Windows XP in the native backup applet with the O/S drivers.

If you have an external drive then it requires an SCM driver to work:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg10092.html

BackupMyPC does not contain the external driver.

However, the Windows2000 external driver does work perfectly well in some XP environments, although we haven't tested it to find out exactly what the criteria are.

Does this answer your question ?

cheers

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
CA790506
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the snappy reply John, but it doesn't really clear it up for me.

I actually had the tape drive installed when I first loaded XP. XP never saw it. I mucked around a bit, but I couldn't get it to fly.

I called HP support and they told me that it wasn't supported under XP !! They suggested I try 3rd party software.

I'll give it a go with BackupMYPC ... at least I know that I don't need SCM now.
CA793794

I tried using the Windows 2000 drivers as recommended by HP. Experienced problems on my Windows XP system with the system not wanting to boot. Eventually had to remove the drivers to get the system to function properly.
CA756694
Honored Contributor

I don't know what to say.

This situation is still not ideal and we are trying to resolve it. XP has caused alot of problems across a number of manufacturers, as well as across different products in HP.

Internal Colorados should be okay with BackUp My Pc, it's just the externals that won't at present.

As to the Win2000 driver.
As I said, it's not supported and we don't know what specific XP environments it works with. I do have it running here on a couple of systems and other customers do to.

I think it's better to be open and honest with problems like these.

cheers

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
CA793794

I failed to mention in my previous post, that my HP 14GB tape drive is an external model using the parallel port.
bollen
Frequent Advisor

John,

Your statement: "Internal Colorados should be okay with BackUp My Pc, it's just the externals that won't at present. " is incorrect I am sorry to say.
I have tried my 8GBi on various W98 and W2k systems and it works fine. I have also tried it on several XP systems and although the unit was correctly indentified by those systems, none of them detected a tape. I have bought BackUp MyPC but that won't help either. HP support in the Netherlands just states that the unit was shipped long before XP was, refused to give any assistance and hung up on me ...

Since I also have problems with several HP OfficeJet G-series MFP's with both W2k and XP you can imagine that I am not quite happy with "The New HP" at the moment ...

L8r, Henk
BR691922

Hi
You're all confusing me.

When you refer to the win2k drivers for SCM PPATPI, do you mean the Win 98/2k ones? I have just visited the site and they separate these from the driver for win2k/XP. Have you tried the win2k/XP one?

Further, if I can't get the tape drive to work with XP, would I be able to get it to run with XP DOS?

Many thanks

Nigel White