StoreEver Tape Storage
1753466 Members
4887 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 14GBe Tape Drive Working with XP

Steve Demetrician_1

HP 14GBe Tape Drive Working with XP

I thought this might be helpful to others.

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

I would add one point... I could not get this solution to work until I uninstalled the 'SCM PPort ATAPI Adapter' found in the System Devices section of the Device Manager.

Once I did this and rebooted, the tape drive came up as new unidentified hardware... and I was able to follow Gary's instructions below.

Thank you Gary.

My tape drive sat idle next to my monitor for almost a year.

I have tested the backup with a restore. The tape compression wouldn't work when I tried moving this drive to my desktop running WinME.

Now everything works perfectly... on my laptop running MS XP Home Edition.

SteveD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary S. Combs

August 10, 2002 03:05 AM GMT [ unassigned ]

I have found a way to get my Colorado 14gb external to work with XP Professional. Here is what I did after several frustrating hours.
First, it is important to point out that I am using Stomp BackUp My PC software.(formerly owned by Veritas). Without it, I would not have been able to make this work.

First, I attached the travan to my parallel port and rebooted. XP recognized new unidentified hardware with no drivers. I downloaded the HP Windows 2000 drivers for this tape drive and extracted them to the windows\temp directory.
I ran the hardware wizard and let it detect the 'SCM PPort ATAPI Adapter'. After it installed the drivers for the parallel port, XP detected the Colorado 14GB tape device that was attached to it. At this point, I DID NOT install the HP drivers but allowed Windows XP to find the best driver for it which were the Veritas drivers that were installed when I installed the Backup My PC software. I then launched Backup MY PC and it detected both my CD-RW and the Colorado Tape Drive.

Summary; I would have still not have a working tape drive (with all my work data) had I not owned and installed Backup My PC.

I hope this helps some of you out there. My purpose is not to plug the software program but the fact is, I have been using it for quite some time and have always been very happy with the results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------