StoreEver Tape Storage

Re: HP 1760 LTO-4 drive, repair problem (tape pin broken)

ColetteH
HPE Pro

I would recomend upgrading the drive to LTO-6 as it can read LTO-4 tapes.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

jb_wisemo
Advisor

Need to write LTO-4 tapes too, or invest in a complete new set of tapes to rotate. Hence why I had to hunt down a replacement LTO-4 drive on the second-hand market as HP stopped offering new ones.
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

My contact was on vacation for a while but has now returned and suggested that you may find the manual tape removal process video helpful.  Heres a link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZD6qC2AQSk

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

jb_wisemo
Advisor

Thanks, that video simply repeated the old "tape stuck, but not broken" procedure that I couldn't originally use, but it reminded me that the eject nut had to be turned first clockwise, then counter-clockwise., which finally ejected the secrificial cartridge that I had used to fish the leader through the tape path.  I had only tried turning it further clockwise.

The procedure used to be a HPE web page named "..../emergency_tape_removal/..." and the title "Notice (Revised): Tape Unload Instructions for Tapes Stuck in HP StorageWorks LTO Ultrium 215/232/448/920/1760/3000 Tape Drives"

Unfortunately, the procedure in the video (and web page) would not have solved the original problem of the leader pin physically snapping off the tape and getting left on the takeup reel.  That could only be handled by breaking the warranty seals, disassembling the drive and fiddling with all the undocumented assembly parts to access the takeup reel and rethread the leader using whatever small tools were at hand (cotton swabs, pincers, mini-torx screwdriver set), as previously discussed.

So now we have a potentialy working "spare" drive in somewhat shabby condition, in case of future incidents.  Some day, I may find occasion to test the drive with a workbench hookup to a HBA.

mikedaniels

Tape storage is quite different from disk drive storage due to the different speeds of tape drives. Clients will find drives with high streaming transfer rates and access times. This will allow users to store a sufficient amount of data into the drive's buffers.

Also, the compression technology in these tape drives helps to increase data transfer rates. The compression technology enhances performance better than the one which users will get from the traditional data transfer rates.
Regardless of the type of tape drive users want, they will get one that best fits their operations. There are tape drives that use different storage networks. Some of these drives use linear tape technology.
For info sharing HP AK383A 800/1600GB Tape Drive Tape Storage LTO-4 Internal with following specs
GENERAL INFORMATION:
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Manufacturer Part Number: AK383A
Type: Tape Drive
Sub-Type: Tape Storage
Manufacturer Website Address: www.hpe.com
Tape Type : LTO-4
Native Drive Capacity : 800GB
Enclosure Type : InternalTECHNICAL FEATURES :
Compressed Drive Capacity : 1600GB
Native Data Transfer Rate : 80 MBPS
Compressed Data Transfer Rate : 160 MBPS
Interface Type : Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)
Buffer : 128 MB

jb_wisemo
Advisor

@mikedaniels Your post is an irrelevant quote from marketing literature. Either you didn't read the thread (like an incompetent "support person") or you are a spammer trying to build a "positive reputation" in the community software by posting pseudo-relevant information in random threads. Either way, get off the Internet!