StoreEver Tape Storage
1753460 Members
4537 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2/40 using Veritas over fiber

Bill Larson_1

HP 2/40 using Veritas over fiber

Our hardware consists of two computers (a Dell 6450 and a Compaq DL380) connected through a Compaq fiber channel arb. loop switch to a raid array (also Compaq). Additionally, we have an HP 2/40 tape library (2 drives, 40 slots) connected to the fiber switch. I have installed Veritas BackupExec on the Compaq DL380 and it can see one of the two HP drives. It cannot see the second drive nor can it see the Media Changer, although Win2K sees both drives and the changer (as unknown medai changer device) - on both computers.

My questions are, 1.) do I need to purchase the Library Expansion Option in order to find the medium changer and the other drive, or is there something wrong with my installation so far, and 2.) are there drivers I need to download which are specific to the HP surestore 2/20, 2/40 and 4/40 products or are the drivers that came with BackupExec sufficient for this hardware?
thanks in advance...
love many and trust few and always paddle your own canoe.
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 2/40 using Veritas over fiber

Hi Bill,

I am not familiar with that particular model
(2/40) but we have a 20/700 model here that
runs from a switch. The tape library has a
A4688A F/C mux (bridge) which converts the
fibre channel into SCSI to the tape drives.
We were using arbitrated loop on it but,
apparently this is not supported by HP. You
must use 'fabric'. At one stage we had the
bridge loose it's configuration. We were
seeing different parts of the hardware, robotic
arm but no drives and no robotics and tape
drives. We then found out the arbitrated loop
was not supported and fabric was.

HTH
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bill Larson_1

Re: HP 2/40 using Veritas over fiber

Thanks for the help; I was able to resolve the issue by reinstaling my software using the 60 day trial version (no serial #'s) which gives access to all available options. The option which was pivotal was the SAN Option- following it's installation all of my hardware was discovered when BackupExec loaded.

Thanks again.
love many and trust few and always paddle your own canoe.