1753275 Members
4831 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 6250 LTO-6 Tape Drive not using hardware compression

DRyanOverby
Advisor

HP 6250 LTO-6 Tape Drive not using hardware compression

I have just purchansed the 6250 drive and a Backup Exec server to manage backups for our company.  For some reason when Backup Exec tries to run a tape job the data is not being compressed.  The settings are set in the job to use "Hardware compression" as it performs better than software.   I read in the manual of the tape drive that by default hardware compression is disabled but I cannot seem to find away to enable it.  Is there a software that I should use?  I tried to use HP library and tape tools but when it scans the system it says that it does not support the tape drive.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.  

Thank you

Ryan

5 REPLIES 5
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

The default in the drive is hardware compression enabled.  There shouldn't be anything in documentation saying otherwise.  If you can tell me where you saw that I can see about getting it corrected.

LTT should be able to communicate with the drive but usually can't when Backup Exec is running on the same server as BE takes exclusive control.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

DRyanOverby
Advisor

Well I thought it was enabled but I was reading a Quickspec PDF "HP StoreEver LTO Ultrium Tape Drives" that said somewhere in there that it was disabled.  

I do not know why it isn't working if it is enabled but cannot seem to find the setting.  Can I access that setting using LTT?

DRyanOverby
Advisor

disabled all of Backup exec and it allowed me to connect.  Checked the health of the drive and found this information.  Says Not enabled, where do I enable it?

DRyanOverby
Advisor

I figured it out.

You have to run the Drive Configuration Utility, click Options, and then you can click "Leave Unchanged" and select enable or disable.  I was overlooking the fact that those options can be clicked.

I would not have got that far had you not said to turn off all the Backup Exec services, so thank you for that help and getting me moving forward again.

Ryan

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear you got it figured out.