5855 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 818 Device Mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russell Richter

HP 818 Device Mode

I have a HP818 that is reporting the following status during a backup using Veritas "The security mode of the library has been changed.
The library has either been put into secure mode, or the library has exited the secure mode.
This is for information purposes only. No action is required." Veritas website says this is a setting on the changer itself. Can anyone help me find this setting? TIA
2 REPLIES 2
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 818 Device Mode

The security mode on a library means that somebody has requested that the library be "secured" or locked. When the library is in secure mode requests to unlock the door will be refused by both the front panel and the SCSI interface. You can also set secure mode on a drive which means that the drive will reject unload requests. The secure mode on the library can be set one of two ways. It can be set by changing a front panel configuration manually or by a SCSI command from the host. The security setting on the drive can only be set via SCSI.

If you are not changing the security setting and are getting this message then something on the host is changing the setting. It may be your Veritas software or another application. I have seen cases where a library is running on Windows 2000 or XP and RSM isn't turned off. RSM will lock any removable media device it finds.
john sorbel

Re: HP 818 Device Mode

I am also experiencing the same error with my 818 and Backup Exec. What can be done if the support personnel for both products blames the error on the other product.

It would be very helpful to know how to disable this feature if it is not needed. Does anyone have a solution for me?