StoreEver Tape Storage
1748066 Members
5202 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP C1537A 12/24GB DAT drive

Chris Wood_5

HP C1537A 12/24GB DAT drive

I have one of the above devices, which I'm trying to set up on a Windows 2k server.

The SCSI bios is recognising the device, Win2k has recognised a tape drive and is using 4mmdat.sys as the driver, but the tape device does not seem to be working - backup software (Backup exec or win 2k backup) both say the drive is not ready or does not have a tape in.

When you put a tape into the drive it seems to go through a process where you can see the heads start reading the tape, then they retract and it looks as if the unit is trying to eject the tape, but doesn't. This is does repeatedly.

I've tried to download firmware and drivers for this device & cannot find any reference to drivers for it on the HP site and curiously Backup Exec decided that it was a Compaq tape drive.

I download a firmware upgrade that mentioned this drive, and when I booted through dos and ran the program it said I didn't have any upgradeable drives installed!

The drive appears to have some jumpers that can be set on the bottom of it but without knowing what these are for I can't tell if they are set incorrectly and I can't find any manual for it.

The drive could also be faulty, but again I can't tell!

If anyone has any info on this drive I'd be grateful.

thanks

chris
7 REPLIES 7
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Chris,
check bottom switches - all are on except 3rd is off.
Download and install HP LTT from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html , run it, test drive, generate support ticket and attach to your next reply renaming it to .txt before attaching
Eugeny
Jake Richie
Advisor

also, try running cleaning tape 5x's consecutively, the head may be extraordinarily dirty
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Jeff XSi
Frequent Advisor

Did you have any Veritas backup services installed whilst using the native backup facility or was RSM service running whilst the Veritas Backup Exec was being used?

Cheers
jeff
Chris Wood_5

thanks all for your responses, it actually turned out the drive was not operating correctly - dirty contact inside.

1 hour and lots of dissasembly/reassembly later its now doing what it oughta!

thanks

chris
Jeff XSi
Frequent Advisor

Cool good to hear that - for your own reference, if you backup daily then run the cleaning cart once at the end of the week - remember that cleaning tapes have a lifetime of just 20 cleans :)

jeff
Chris Wood_5

thanks Jeff, I would give everyone lots of points for replying but I haven't got that side of this site sorted - in fact I can't see anywhere to add points, so you'll have to give yourselves a fictional 1000 points each!

cheers

chris
Jeff XSi
Frequent Advisor

heheh ok :)

cheers
jeff