StoreEver Tape Storage
1752586 Members
4090 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP C1554C tape drive lights

Sean McManus

HP C1554C tape drive lights

I have had a problem with this tape drive for the last 2 weeks. The amber light keeps blinking. I've tried using a cleaning cartridge and an air duster to no avail. I've tried changing cleaning tapes, regular tapes and drivers. The drive is also making strange noises when a tape is inserted. As a result, no backups can be made, as it won't recognize a tape in the drive. Do I need to have the drive serviced by someone or am I missing something?
2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

I suspect that yes, and drive feels not good. The algorythm is simple - if drive experience errors, it first trying to clean itself with internal brush (and you hear these sounds) and then it flashes led signaling it wants to be cleaned.
Please install HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html and analyze device, create support ticket and look into it. Try running write heads calibration script
Eugeny
Dan_139
Advisor

I have also seen this problem get fixed many times by simply upgrading the firmware. If you already have the latest firmware, flash it again with the same version. I think it has to do with some instruction sets get corrupted. Not a guarantee but worth a shot.
knowlegde is key to what?