4256 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP C5713A FW DataErr

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Kelly_4

HP C5713A FW DataErr

I have an HP C5713A tape library that I am trying to use with a Win2K Server and ArcServe 9. The drive is recognized by Arcserve and will start to do a backup, but when it finishes the job, the drive will display 'FW DataErr' and 'OBDR Mode'.

HP's StorageWorks L&TT software shows the firmware as H111. I can not find a firmware update for this drive on the HP site.

Any idea of how to overcome the FW DataErr? And why is OBDR mode displaying when I do a backup?
4 REPLIES 4
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: HP C5713A FW DataErr

Hi,

As per the part number C7513A
It is a DAT40x6i ( Internal ) Tape Autloader.
More information could be found at and firmware

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=42856&prodTypeId=12169

There are two firmware files , so you need to use one whichever is applicable for the drives you have. Read the description.

Error describes as
FW DataErr : signifies the firmware is corrupt.
OBDR - One Button Disater Recovery.
Because of firmware error , the drive is trying to run recovery of its own internally.
I guess the latest and successful firmware upgrade would solve the problem.

Mark Kelly_4

I downloaded the ltt_hp_c5713a_apr04.exe file for the firmware. The L&TT program reports that the firmware found in that file for the C5713A drive is for the "wrong personality".

This drive was orignally used on a Win2K Advanced Server machine running Unisys MCP, which is what was used to do data backups.

Is this possibly where wrong personality is coming from?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

I hope you might have used the correct firmware file for the drives revision.

"wrong personality" error is usually given by LTT if it failed to recognise the personality codes of the device. I guess LTT should have been switching to restricted mode becuase of this error. This error could be occuring because the firmware is corrupted.

Try using the latest LTT version which 3.5 SR4.

This restricted mode is provided to safegaurd improper use of the tools funcationalities. If it doesn't work then you need to place a h/w call to HP support.
You can also send the problem details to LTT support team at ltt_team@hp.com .
Mark Kelly_4

I haven't updated any firmware yet, since the L&TT program won't let me. I am using the 3.5 SR4 version. I read the help screens for L&TT and read about restricted mode. When the program starts and when it is running, it doesn't mention anything about being in restricted mode.

If I click the button to retrieve firmware from from the web, it returns an empty list.

I guess I'll have to contact HP through the mehods you suggested. THANK YOU for your help!