StoreEver Tape Storage
1753797 Members
7311 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Colorado 20GB works on first-time installation.

Eliseo E. Mon

HP Colorado 20GB works on first-time installation.

Why is my HP Colorado 20GB tape drive works only on the time i install it and it's backup software Backup II? Whenever i close my Pc and open it again insert a tape cartridge the drive will not initialize & give me this message when i try to run the backup program. "The backup device reported an unrecoverable hardware error. Please insert another media to continue." And I have to uninstall the drive & software and reinstall them again to make it work. I have an Intel Pentium 4-1.7Ghz PC, FIC 845 chipset MB, 256Mb SDRAM, LG 50x CD Drv, LG CDR/W Drv, running Windows 98SE.
3 REPLIES 3
CA898230
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP Colorado 20GB works on first-time installation.

Hi Elisio,

Have you downloaded the HP Colorado Tape Drive Diagnostic Tool from the HP drivers and downloads page? If you what did it say?

Also is it an internal, external, in a server or standalone?

Also have you cleaned the drive lately, retensioned the heads? And what exactly is it doing? does it take the tape at all?
Live and let live - unless they are really...really stupid..then they may need a smack
Eliseo E. Mon

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the time and interest on my problem. I'm replying to your inquiry. I have an internal Colorado 20Gb tape drive. And yes I have downloaded the HP Colorado Tape Drive Diagnostic Tool and here is the message. "No tape is present. The Write and Read Test cannot be performed.". But when I uninstall the Backup II Software and tape drive, reboot my pc and reinstall again the tape drive and Backup II software. It will work and pass the diagnostic tool without a hitch. I hope this new information will be of big help in finding for a solution to my problem.
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Eliseo-
You haven't stated which version of HP Colorado Backup II you are running. You need version 7.0 or higher for Win98SE.

If you are not sure, start up the program. Select the Help menu and then "About".

Tim
If it works, don't fix it!