StoreEver Tape Storage
1752274 Members
4688 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Colorado 5GB Internal

Rodney Mollura

HP Colorado 5GB Internal

OK fellow techies, retension that tape on your glasses and empty those pocket protectors! This one will knock your Aunt Connie's socks off. Got a HP Colorado 5GB internal Travan on W98SE, (worked fine for years). Put the tape in, spins and whatnot. When trying to backup, reports "The backup device reported an unrecoverable hardware error. Please insert another media to continue." Tried that with a new tape. Firmware is 2.06.0002 and won't be upgraded to 2.08. Says "Drive is not ready for upgrade". TapeDiag.exe won't work, says "No Tape is present. The read/write test cannot be performed. etc." The "cable select" thing doesn't apply here. It won't recognize the tape and won't upgrade! What gives?
4 REPLIES 4
CA876185

Re: HP Colorado 5GB Internal

I got a similar error and I havent got any help either..let me know what you find and I'll do the same
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Rodney-
Sounds like the tape drive has failed. I have seen errors like this on many bad tape drive units. And, yes, they seem to go bad just for "no reason"; that is, works one day, broken the next.

To confirm my diagnosis, try swapping out the unit or moving it to another computer.

Tim
If it works, don't fix it!
CA856197
Advisor

Before you exchange the drive try doing the firmware upgrade in dos. Sometimes the firmware upgrade will not go through in windows and it has to be forced through in dos.
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg10037
This is the link for the instructions.Hope this helps.
Rodney Mollura_1

Tommy,
Thanks for the help. Everything was going smooth but when it tried to do the upgrade, a warning message says "SCSI library not loaded", or something like that. What SCSI?
Give it to me straight, Doc, is the TRAVAN a goner?
I'M NEW, I'M NEW!!!