1752795 Members
5960 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Colorado 5GB Password Protection Media

Scott Nelson_2

HP Colorado 5GB Password Protection Media

Hi All,

I am writing to see if anybody knows what is happening to me and my tape drive. I got my tape drive to work in XP and it reads the media fine. But when I use Colorado Backup II to restore my media it asks for a media password. Seems all fine but I never put a password in when I backed up my media, as far as I know. If I did put a password in I would of made it to one of my passwords I usually use but none of those work. How can I hack this and get my very, very important data off this tape?

Please Help!

Scott

P.S.: Picture of Password Dialog box
5 REPLIES 5
Scott Nelson_2

Re: HP Colorado 5GB Password Protection Media

For the record I used Windows XP Backup and may have checked the "Allow Only the owner and Administrator access to the backup data and to any backups appended to this medium" checkbox when I set up a Scheduled Job to backup every night at 1 in the morning. So now that this is the case I have recently reinstalled Windows XP on my computer cause my hard drive crashed. So the reason why I was backing up the data was for this reason so I could restore if I lost everything. So now I have lost everything what is the security that Windows XP Backup puts on this media that I only have to be the Administrator or the creator of the old machines install. If anybody here is familiar with Windows NT security that after you install a fresh copy of Windows even if you use the same username and password on the new build you still can't get into a folder that has security on that. So I think this is my problem.. How do I get this data off here with Windows default security on my media..

In a rut and can't get out!

Thanks Scott
Scott Nelson_2

I think this is a hard one. I can't find any solutions..

S*it!

:-(
Jack Karpinski

Hi Scott,
I was just wondering if you ever got this problem solved? I ran into a very similar problem, the only difference is that I'm trying to restore using Windows ME. Like you, I don't remember ever setting the backup as password protected and I've tried every password that I could imagine that I might have used. Anyone else that stumbles across this problem that has an answer, please reply. Thanks...
CA886084
Frequent Advisor

In regards to your problem - Colorado Backup 2 was not written for Windows XP, so you be able to backup fine and everything looks fine but you won't be able to restore that backup - there are no fixes for this - You can use TapeWare from www.tapeware.com which works with Windows XP and it will allow you to backup and restore using your 5GB tape drive...
Stan Jones_1

I think this might help you out some:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hneel/password.htm