1752846 Members
3723 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Colorado 8GB External Crashing My System

Clueless in Seattle
Occasional Contributor

HP Colorado 8GB External Crashing My System

I often start my back-ups at bedtime so that they will be completed by the time I wake up the next day.

A few nights ago I started a back-up job but when I woke up I found this error message on the monitor screen:

An error occurred while writing the backup data.
The back-up device stopped responding
(08-0D-21-03-009D)

When I rebooted the computer I got this message:

Found new Hardware
VID_04E6PiD_80000020

I'm not sure the two messages are related. It seems like "VID" might be a video driver.

When I tried to run a back-up job I got a message saying the device could not be found.

I tried uninstalling the HP tape drive, and then reinstalling it. But when I try to reinstall it I get a message saying something about a device being improperly removed. Before I have time to read the message I see a blue screen for a fraction of a second, and then the system reboots. I'm running Win 2K.

The system remains stable after the reboot as long as I don't try to reinstall the tape drive. But as soon as I click Settings>Control Panel>Add Remove Hardware and proceed to look for new hardware I get that error message followed by a reboot.

I'd be grateful for some help trouble shooting this problem.

Should I start by physically disconnecting the drive from my computer?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

1 REPLY 1
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Colorado 8GB External Crashing My System

VID actually does refer to the tape drive. Delete all of your existing backup jobs and create a new one. Look at the drop down menu that lists your tape drive, I'll bet there is more than one listed. Choose the last one on the list
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"