108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Colorado Backup II

Helgi S. Sigurdsson
Occasional Contributor

HP Colorado Backup II

error message:
The following error code was reported.
The backup device reported unrecoverable hardware error.(07-12-23-00-40C5)
Second effort
5 REPLIES 5
Cordini

Did you eventually get help on this? I'm having the same problem.
Leo Potjewijd

Hi,
possibly this is caused by a incompatibility between Colorado Backup II and your operating system.
I have found that v7.1 of CBII is incompatible with W98SE: all verifies fail.
A job well begun is a job half done. I don't like jobs half done.
Dewayne Grooms

This error happens when a Travan tape loses its servo information at the beginning of the tape. When you put a tape in that is in that condition, the tape drive will "thrash", trying to find the information it needs about the tape you just put in. The internal firmware program times out and this error is returned.

It has nothing to do with Win98SE being incompatible. There is nothing you can do to make the tape usable again. That is of no comfort to those who have lost the data on their hard drives.

My advise would be to (a) refresh the data more regularly, (b) store the backup in a file cabinet or safe away from ANY source of magnetism and (c) reboot your PC before running a backup.

If a backup hangs up before it completes, (a) reboot the PC, (b) re-initialize the tape and (c) do a security erase on it. If it completes, you have swept away ANY confusing (to the computer) information and have a "fresh" tape. If the tape doesn't complete, then discard it and use a new one.

Your tape should have a lifetime warranty. Write a nice letter to address on the warranty saying that the tape has become defective and you would like it replaced. It's worth it at $39 a pop.
GIGO: You only get out of life what you put into it
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

If it is a HP media cartridge just call into their support line and they'll set up the media replacement for you.

Other things to try though - use compressed air on the inside of the drive - paying special attention not to aim it at the read write heads but to aim directly at the tape sensor (this is a small rectangular metallic recessed piece located near the bottom left)

If it is a external drive edit the epat shuttle driver
Dewayne Grooms

After doing everything I knew, I bit the bullet and bought new tapes and they worked perfectly. I brought the suspect tape to work and tried it on another tape drive and got the same message. I think it pretty safe to say it's the tape.
GIGO: You only get out of life what you put into it