5300 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DAT24e: Connection lost with SlimSCSI PC-Card Adapter

Roman Cwienk
Occasional Contributor

HP DAT24e: Connection lost with SlimSCSI PC-Card Adapter

Hi,

I own a HP DAT24e exterbal streamer. It works fine with any backup software on my big tower PC, connected to a 2940UW FSCSI-Controller.

Connected to my notebook via Adaptec SlimSCSI PC-Card Adapter, every backup software reports timeouts while verifying or restoring a backup, after a view seconds.

Adaptec said, the reason is, that the SlimSCSI PC-Card Adapter doens't supply tempower to the SCSI bus. I did'nt find any option on my DAT24e to active termpower directly on the drive.

Who knows more than me? Is it possible to attach a kind of active terminator on the Centronics port of the drive?

best regards,
Roman
Graz/Austria
3 REPLIES 3
jon sellers

Re: HP DAT24e: Connection lost with SlimSCSI PC-Card Adapter

The first jumper (from left to right looking at the back of the mechanism) is the term power jumper. You can't get to it without taking the mech out of the enclosure but term power is enabled by default on all HP DDS drives. It sounds more like it could be a faulty cable. These cards are very susceptible to dodgy cables. I'd recommend trying another cable, and if that doesn't improve things, a new terminator.
Roman Cwienk
Occasional Contributor

Jon,

a good idea. At first I'll try a new terminator. The short cable (approx. 30 cm) was delivered with the Adaptec SlimSCSI Card. It is not easy to get a new one, I'm afraid.

On the other side, I think the terminator must be OK, because attached via the 1 meter-cable to the Adaptec 2940 card the streamer works without any problem....
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

I have seen these Adaptec cables go bad occasionally. It appears that heavy use and flexing of the cable enventually breaks one or more of its wires.

I would try Adaptec support.