5320 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DLT VS 80 Problem

Tetard
Occasional Contributor

HP DLT VS 80 Problem

Hi there,
Impossible to update firmware with LT&T.
It discover our tape drive but it noticed that LT&T does not support this device.
Problem was that I can not change block size for compression in Backup exec.
So idea was to update firmaware because I have already update Backup Exec, SCSI driver, HP driver ...
Any idea ?
Regards,
8 REPLIES 8
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

5E40 looks to be latest fw for this vs80, are you using latest ltt version ?

marino
Tetard
Occasional Contributor

I downloaded LT&T from HP website yesterday.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Tetard
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,
I knew how to change it but I need to change it each time BE service be restarted ...or Server shutdown...
Regards,
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Tetard,

so your problem is related to LTT? What I can says is that you already have latest FW, the second thing is that this VS80 drive is part of an autoloader, and if LTT do not see the robotic, probably he do not support it as stand-alone drive with this FW.
Try to select the autoloader within LTT and see if you can manage it.

Marino
Tetard
Occasional Contributor

My problem is that I can not change block size in Backup Exec but for me, it is coming from tape drive so I don't know what to do.
Crewescontrol
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I have upgraded firmware on DLT VS80 tape drives using LTT, both internal and external (HP part number C7503A & C7504A. The latest firmware was V65 about 10 months ago - LTT_HP_DLTVS80_V065_HPQ-1.frm, i tried to attach but its 1mb which is too big. Its part of LTT's firmware bundle if you want to actually get the file yourself, but at least the file name your looking for is there.

The device name of 5E40 i have seen before when configuring new devices in Veritas Console but i didnt think this represented the firmware? I have been wrong before and will be again though. One thing i am 100% about is that C7503A and C7504A have firmware of LTT_HP_DLTVS80_V065_HPQ-1.frm or above if new version out.

I dont have a clue about changing block size compression in back-up exec, but thought id let you know what i know about the firmware.

Hope it helps

Adam
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Block size will default to 32K or 1K if new devices are insatlled. That being said, having to change it everytime you reeboot coudl be indicating the software as seeing a newly installed device each time this is done. We would need to determine why this is happening.

Detection issues or communication problems can be caused by many things

LTT might not see the drive as compatible if a communication issue exsists. Also if the drive is an OEM HP drive and the firmware has been changed by an OEM company and then sold to you, LTT will not be able to identify this as a 'supported unit'. This is a built in feature that will prevent destroying the OEM vendor's alterations on the drive and voiding your warranty with them.

If this is not the case and LTT can not ID the drive correctly, we need to determin why this is occuring.

1) Is there a tape stuck in the drive? this can cause communication and detection issue for the OS a)did it previousl have a stuck tape, that was manually removed?
2) any error lights on the drive?
3) cable have bent pins, or is it twisted? It might be old and need to be replaced
4) Is the drive properly terminated?
4) what SCSI card is being used?
5) What driver is installed on the SCSI CARD?
6) What OS and does it have the latest serivce packs?
7) what Back up software is being used?
8) What drivers are installed on the tape drive in device manager?

Also Software compression is strongly advised not to be selected. It can cause the drive's own compression algorithm to be disabled and may permanently destroy the operation of this algorithm.

Useful document:
DLT and Ultrium ├в Software vs. Hardware Compression
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=lpg50030&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Please detail the answer to the above questions so I can better understand the issue.

Thanks,
Jaclyn