StoreEver Tape Storage
1753950 Members
7711 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Data Protector Express - How to add clients?

jrobertson

HP Data Protector Express - How to add clients?

Hi there,

I have an HP AiO400, which came with Data Protector Express. It works well enough to back up the AiO, but I have 3 other servers that need backing up as well. I have spent several hours scouring the interface and documentation trying to figure out how to add another machine in order to back it up, and I can't figure it out. All indications in the user guide seem to indicate these machines will be automatically discovered. That would make sense if there was some kind of agent on them, but there isn't.

Is there an agent I have to install? I haven't been able to find reference to one. Please help!!
1 REPLY 1
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Data Protector Express - How to add clients?

The AiO is a bit of a different animal. It includes a copy of Data Protector Express but with the original release it was only intended to be used to backup the data stored on the AiO.

The AiO team just released an upgrade (Version 1.3) that includes an upgrade to Data Protector Express 3.5 SP1 as will as a change to the original philosophy. Now the AiO can be used as a backup server to backup other clients both to disk and to tape.

You will need a couple of things to make this work. First, you will need to upgrade your AiO400 to version 1.3. You can find the upgrade files at http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27823.html

After you have completed this upgrade, you will be able to add other clients to Data Protector Express. Each client requires a network backup license. The product number is BB121AA for a single license or BB122AA for a 3 server license. The license key is installed on the AiO and then you install a copy of Data Protector Express on each client, joining them to the master backup server that is running on the AiO. A copy of the Data Protector Software is found on the AiO or you can download the eval copy from hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress and use that file.

DL