StoreEver Tape Storage
1748249 Members
3365 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Library &Tape Tools and HPC1533A (Repost)

Hugh Neylan
Occasional Contributor

HP Library &Tape Tools and HPC1533A (Repost)

Hi
I have asked about this before but I wasn't quite clear in my original question so here is a rephrasing of it:
I am trying to update the firmware on my HPC1533a DDS2 tape drive. I am using Windows2000, so I believe that the only way I can do this is by using Tape Tools.

Currently, according to tape tools the firmware on my drive is 9406! So I want to get it up to the latest one (A907 I think).

In Tape Tools, in the Identify section, my product is referenced as "HP C1533A" (this is the correct model number). When I click on the firmware button, a box pops up to inform me that I have no compatible firmware in my current folder, and to go and download some etc. When I click on the "Get Firmware from Web" button it tells me that I have a local copy of the latest firmware for my device already on my hard drive!

So I go back to the Update Firmware tab, and click on the check box near my drive (here it is listed as "Drive (C1533A)"). After I click the check box, another message comes up saying that there is no matching firmware.... Is this what the 'Override factory settings' feature is for?

Thanks in advance
Hugh.

P.S. This thread ahs been moved from General to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Be advised that the firmware upgrade is also available for a price on tape. You just stick the tape in and watch it whir.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the TapeTools software is NOT WIN2K compatible. I'll try to find something definitive and let you know.

According to the following HP web page, the firmware you want is 9608.
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50124.html

And, indeed, the following web page says Tape Tools is WIN9x or WINNT compatible. You'll need to move the tape drive to another machine to upgrade the firmware (or dual boot).
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hugh:

Last week HP released a Windows 2000 version of Tape Tools.

Windows 2000-compatible version of HP Library and Tape Tools can be found at:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/software/ltt_27_eng.exe.html
Make a great day!

Roger
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

There are two versions of the C1533A (a first and second generation version) that are different products and require different firmware.

The newest firmware for the first generation device is 9608, the newest firmware for the second generation device is A708.

HP Library & Tape Tools recognizes the difference between the two generations and does not let you choose the A708 firmware image for a first generation drive.

The reason both versions of the product share the same Product ID was to simplify integration with backup applications.