1748142 Members
3581 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Library & Tape Tools hangs

Uwe Schoch

HP Library & Tape Tools hangs

Hi,

I bought a used Apple Tape Drive (C1533) and try to work with it. I have installed HP Library & Tape Tools Version 2.7 SR1a. The tolls lists all my SCSI-Device, but if I click on "HP C1533A", the tool hangs. After a minute I got a window with "" and I am able to close it, but I have to kill the HP tool.
DATMAN is able to read and write the drive.
I use Win98SE + Tekram DC-390F. What could be the reason for?

Uwe
6 REPLIES 6
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Library & Tape Tools hangs

Win98se
Do it today, don't leave for tomorrow
Uwe Schoch

Is it a "bug" in win98 or does the tool not work with win98? Is there any tool I could use for updating the firmware of the drive (win98SE or DOS)?
BR664511
Advisor

Uwe,
I have used the TapeTool with Win 98 with success. The latest incarnation of the tool is SR5a available from the TapeTool site http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools.
Regards,
Barry.
Uwe Schoch

Hi Barry,
I've just tried the latest version SR5a, but it is the same problem. Maybe the firmware (version: 9406) is too old or not built (because the drive is built for apple) for that tool.
I can also make a backup with the Microsoft Backup. But one of my attempts resulted in a break of the tape (a new Maxell DDS2 / 124m = 407ft).
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Win98SE should work fine for HP L&TT. I'm not familiar with this particular Tekram card.

Most of the cases where L&TT hung were related to issues on the SCSI bus or the OS not handling I/O correctly - though this happens most of the time after a firmware update, not upon selecting a device.

There are potential firmware differences between your drive and the standard HP flavor of the drive. This could cause problems, but I have no data to support a statement either way.

If you want: look in the logs folder in the L&TT install location. There are several files which read EventLog... Zip those and e-mail them to ltt_team@hp.com. We can then analyze these logs - but I can't promise that there is enough detail to determine why L&TT hung.

If you do this - it would be helpful if you go under 'Preferences' in the option menu and make sure the checkbox for 'I/O hsitory' is checked. Then select the device one more time, and then send the log files.

Checking this check box will included additional data in the log files about each I/O which is executed by L&TT. This can be useful information for us.
Uwe Schoch

Hi Jan,

thank you for your help. I sent you the file as you told me.

Uwe