New Discussion юеВ

HP MSL6030 + HP PTM

SOLVED
Go to solution
GNewton
Advisor

HP MSL6030 + HP PTM

Hi,

I've just installed a second MSL6000 Library, no drive, with a PTM hooked into another MSL6030. The original, with drive, has been configured as Master and the MSL/PTM Library as Slave. What I am wondering, is the Master to see the inventory of the Slave? I assume it would have to but currently it does not, as far as I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Re: HP MSL6030 + HP PTM

Hello,

When the PTM is properly installed both MSLs will act as single big MSL library.

You may want to doublecheck the network cables going to the small PTM hub/switch, and also the serial cable going from the PTM to the master library. (the cabling on this configuration is pretty sensitive and needs to be done just as the manual states)

You may want to confirm using HP L&TT (www.hp.com/support/lttdownload) it will scan the library on your host and will report the inventory as a single library.

Regards,
GNewton
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I have followed the directions, to my best knowledge, but there are a few discrepancies in the reference guide.

1. There is no indication on how to press forward if you have a fiber card installed making it 3 cards including the original interface card, the fibercard (which also has a RJ45 cabled)
2. There are 2 descriptions in the Reference Guide. 1 for external router and one for internal router. The external router diagram includes a cabling visual for the Primary Motor Cable (looks like a SubD 9 pin or close to) and the description for a config with an internal router makes absolutely no reference to it. I don't know why an external or internal router would make a difference here.

I will check again tomorrow morning to confirm the cabling.

Aside from this, I believe the cabling and configuration should be as described in the reference guide. Perhaps I need to open a case with HP.

Thanks again.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Regarding communication:

Connect a LAN cable between each library controller card and the hub, connect an external LAN cable to the WAN port of the hub.

The hub will give each box a DHCP IP address and provides the configured IP to the WAN port. That's it.

Easy way of verification: The OCP of the primary will let you select the secondary on a pull down selection menu.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GNewton
Advisor

So, i recabled/configured it today.

Contoller Card RJ45 -> Hub Interface 1
Fiber Card RJ45 -> Hub Interface 2
MSL Slave RJ45 -> Hub interface 3
WAN cable -> Mgmt Interface

1. Configured Slave (without hitting OK to commit changes) **IP on same subnet as Master.
2. Configured Master and commited changes.
3. Hit OK on Slave to commit changes after Master completely rebooted.
4. Scanned each library for media. each Library, Master and Slave, reported the correct media/barcodes but Master still cannot see Slave.

LLT does not see the second Library (that I could find anyways)so something, probably obvious, is still wrong. I will start a case with HP Support this weekend/Monday. If we find out the cause of the issue I will report it back here.

Thanks to the both of you for the info. I will award once I close the thread with the solution.
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello,

I am not sure if you have this document, but I think this will be very helpful:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00878646/c00878646.pdf

On page 35 starts with the configuration of both Master and Slave libraries.

You usually start on the master and then move to the slave.

Also it would be worthy to doublecheck the firmware version of both libraries, they should both be at 5.20

You can also try the "Force Reconfiguration" from the Maintenance Menu.

Regards,
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Don't put the fibre card to this hub!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!