StoreEver Tape Storage
1748151 Members
3802 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Proliant ML530 G2 + DAT40e + Windows 2003

CA1071760

HP Proliant ML530 G2 + DAT40e + Windows 2003

I have problems with this configuration, the server don't detect the device. In the page say's that the device is compatible with this server and windows but i can't do it work. I test the cable, upgrade the SCSI drivers and try to upgrade the ROM but the SmartStart hangs reading the diskette. The HP Library & Tools don't detect it too. Realy i don't know what i can do...
7 REPLIES 7
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Proliant ML530 G2 + DAT40e + Windows 2003

So what kind of SCSI controller do you have? Do you see the drive listed during POST? If so, stop services on backup software and Removable Storage Manager for Windows and then re run Library and Tape Tools
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1071760

I have two HP 64-Bit/66Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter, in the first have a RAID and in the secondary only the DAT40. Windows don't detect the device attached, in the device administrator panel don't show any tape unit attached. I test various DAT SCSI id and follow the steps of the manual carefully. I haven't another SCSI similar device to test if the error persist. There are any way to detect any error on the cable or in the DAT?
CA713937
Honored Contributor

In the control panel, system, device manager, does the HBA appear correctly and have the appropriate driver?

As mentioned earlier, during boot up, the SCSI card bios should list the attached devices. Does anything show up there?
The journey IS the reward.
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

Your drive is on an unsupported configuration.
most drives are not compatible on the raid cards (only drives specifically designed for that - i.e. some hot swappable units) since your drive sounds like an external drive you may want to add another controller to isolate the drive on - HP has a kit for an ADAPTEC 29160LP which comes with cables. Part Number C7474-60001

Bob
Mohammed Ali_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Ezequiel,

Check the SCSI for any missing or bent pins. If you have a spare SCSI, swap it.

As Lewis and David wrote: check if the SCSI with drive attached are POSTing during bootup. Also check if correct driver is loaded.

Good luck.

Mohammed
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> I have two HP 64-Bit/66Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter, in the first have a RAID and in the secondary only the DAT40.

Can you clarify what HBA the DAT40 is on? When you say "RAID" it could be confused with the smart array controllers. Here's the supported configs for the DAT40e (non hot-plug):

* Dual Channel Ultra320 268351-B21(Recommended)
* Dual Channel Ultra 3 284688-B21
* Embedded SCSI channel (if unused), please note that the server must have an external SCSI connector to connect external drives
* Legacy single channel Ultra 3 154457-B21 (if already installed)*
The journey IS the reward.
david5337_1
Regular Advisor

The raid controller is not recommended to link the tape device.