1748156 Members
3850 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader - Veritas 11d

Bvujic
Occasional Advisor

HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader - Veritas 11d

We have HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader, and we want to try to make some auto rotation backup strategy with VERITAS 11d. Problem which we have is that VERITAS BE 11d doesnтАЩt recognize this device as robotic library, only as stand alone. We use last Symantec drivers but it was useless.

Can this device be recognized as robotic library at all?

I Will appreciate any help, because this start to be nightmare

9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What's your OS? Windows? Any unknown devices in device manager?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bvujic
Occasional Advisor

I'm using windows server 2003 sp1. There is no unknown/unistalled hardware oh this server.

Is anyone made this thinks to work ?

Any Advice?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

What are you using for an HBA? This device will work as a robotic library but some HBA's do not implement the full SCSI specification and won't work with it. In particular almost no array controllers will support the tape library.

Another possibility is that the library has been manually configured to work only in stacker mode in which case you need to use the library interface to reconfigure the library to random or autodetect mode.

I might also mention that there are two types of 1/8. The original 1/8 and the 1/8 G2. Just like the HP servers with the Gx designations that designation is important for support questions as the underlying hardware will be different for each different generation.
Bvujic
Occasional Advisor

Respected,

If you ask me what SCSI controller I├в m using for Autoloader, that is ├в HP Smart Array Smart Array 642├в and it is used only for autoloader. Local disk are attached on integrated SCSI. Server model is HP Proliant DL 385. If this one is not ok, what kind of controller I need? What model?

Second thinks is ├в manually configured to work only in stacker mode├в . I really don├в t know how is configured and where I can check/change that? Can you please send me more information how to reconfigure or check?

I think that Generation of my HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader is the first one, so not G2!

Can you give me some advice what is next step?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The controller you have the autoloader attached to will not support most of the 1/8 products whether they are G1 or G2. There are a few really old G1 products that have 4 SCSI ports on the back (Ultrium 230 and 460 versions, those will work with the smart array controller you have but most 1/8 autoloaders do not.

You don't mention your drive technology so the best thing to do is to check http://www.hp.com/go/ebs and load the EBS matrix then go to the section on SCSI HBA's. It lists HBA's for all different operating systems and interface types.
Bvujic
Occasional Advisor

Respected,

Thanks on your answer; it will help me a lot. Earnestly, I didn├в t install any specially drivers for this autoloader. It was recognized by OS and VERITAS automatically (obviously recognized like wrong device type). After that I install some drivers from VERITAS website (their technical support recommended me to install that, not to use HP or Windows Drivers) this is a link http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289147.htm.

Is there any other SCSI controller which I can buy, so it will work correctly with this autoloader?

I will visit link which you send me just now, and see is there anything helpful
Bvujic
Occasional Advisor

P.S.

This is correct link for symantec/veritas drivers

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289147.htm
Bvujic
Occasional Advisor

Respected,

Since my servers is HP Proliant DL 385, with integrated Smart Array 6i controller, and since on website is written that this controller have some optional duplex backplane support or external tape support, I├в m asking is there any way to this Autoloader connect on it ?

Please Advice.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

No there is no way to connect a 1/8 autoloader to any of the current array controllers you have you have a full SCSI controller.

If the previously referenced EBS matrix there is a list of supported HBAs. Just select SCSI HBA's on page 30.

That matrix lists
AH627A PCI-e U320
412911-B21 PCI-e U320
374654-B21 PCI-X U320
268351-B21 PCI-X U320
284688-B21 PCI U160
129803-B21 PCI-X U160
154457-B21 PCI-X U160

The Smart Array controllers are not only not supported but simply will not work with the 1/8 or most other tape libraries. The only tape support they have is base level standalone tape drive support.