StoreEver Tape Storage
1748288 Members
3547 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 960 Autoloader and HBA?

Mark-Hodge
Advisor

HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 960 Autoloader and HBA?

Hi,

Our company just purchased an new HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 960 Autoloader, we have the 268351-B21 - Dual channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA in our HP ProLiant DL380G4 server which has worked perfectly with our older HP Ultrium 460 drive.

We keep getting EventID 11 in eventlog, when backup exec tries to backup we get the following error

Job ended: 05 June 2006 at 21:02:24
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34029

I have checked on the Veritas support but the workaround problem resolution doesnt give any specific fix. Our tape drive has the latest drivers and firmware and i have made sure the SCSI HBA has the latest driver too. We can erase tapes etc no problem but we just cannot get Backup Exec version 10 to write any data to tape. I have patched backup exec up to the latest version.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mark
4 REPLIES 4
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 960 Autoloader and HBA?

Are you able to run read/write test with LTT?
can you collect a ticket after the test with the tape inside the drive?
are you using lto3 cartridges?
are you using right cables and terminators?
Did you reconfigure Bexec to reflect the new drive?
What do you mean when you said you can erase tapes? are you writing on it with bexec?
thanks to let us know
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Mark-Hodge
Advisor

Hi,

Yes we ran some tests in LTT all came back without issues.

Yes we have purchased Ultrium LTO3 tapes, HP product number C7973A.

Yes we have the cables and terminator which came with the device, HP branded.

Yes we reconfigured Backup Exec with the appropriate drivers, which were downloaded from Symantec support.

We can go into Devices on backup exec, and click robotic library, then we can go to slots and run inventory jobs, and we can also go to each slot right click and run an erase tape job. It's just seems that if we run a backup job the job runs for about 1 minute saying loading media, then goes to running status and eventually after about 2 minutes comes back with the error i posted in my initial post.

Any help would be gratefully received, I have an open case with Symantec on this but would appreciate any help.
meloni
Honored Contributor

Looks like a problem with the drivers, I would suggest to reinstall again the Veritas drivers, and eventualy to install the HP drivers for the LTO3 device

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
meloni
Honored Contributor

Also be sure you do not have any service form previous backup application, or RSM other supervisoring tools running on the server that can take ownership of the tapedrive