7646 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 460 AA927A re-install problems

TomasD
Occasional Contributor

HP StorageWorks Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 460 AA927A re-install problems

Hi,
I'm having trouble re-connecting HP StorageWorks Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 460 AA927A drive back to my windows server 2003. I've moved the tape drive from one scsi controller to another (on the one with battery backed cache and all hard drives), changed scsi id's to 6 for loader and 7 for the drive, went to device manager deleted the old robotic library and tape drive entries and did scan for harware changes...
I got 13 Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-2 drives detected with locations of:
bus number 0, target ID 5, Lun 0
bus number 0, target ID 6, Lun 0
bus number 0, target ID 18, Lun 0
And no robotic library...
When I ran "hp storageworks library and tape tools" I'm getting following info about my loader;
Drives:
Tape 'HP Ultrium 2-scsi' at Address 2/0.18.0
Libraries:
(nothing here)

I'm wondering what do I have to install to get this sorted out?

any help will be appreciated!

regards
Tomas
4 REPLIES 4
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium 460 AA927A re-install problems

Change your drive SCSI ID to 5. Almost all hosts reserve 7 for the controller and using it for another device will cause that device to show up at every location.

Note that parallel SCSI priorities are 7 highest with 0 in the middle followed by 8 and higher so tape drives should be at ID's 5 or 6. When a library controller is sharing a bus with a tape drive it should be 1 ID higher than the drive to make certain move commands can be processed when the drive is active. That gives 6 for the library and 5 for the drive as the best choice.
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Hi
Curtis is right, you have SCSI ID conflict. However the ID numbers that you can assign to the drive and library depend on the number of HDDs in the drive cage. if you have 6 HDDs, you can't assign ID 5 to drive or library, because it will conflict with the hard drive.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Regarding the post about having hard disks on the same bus - True - you have to check for hard disks and not conflict. I tend to forget about that because Ultrium drives should not be on a shared bus.

If you have any hard disks on the same bus with an Ultrium 460/448/920/960 drive you should move the drive to another bus. Those tape drives have high enough performance that they work best on their own bus.
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

I agree with you, Curtis. It is recommended to use dedicated SCSI HBA for Ultrium Tape drives. If the bus are shared by HDDs and tape drive(s), SCSI bus saturation might happen in some cases.