1752658 Members
5860 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks Data Protector Hangs backing up to DVD

steve drake
Advisor

HP StorageWorks Data Protector Hangs backing up to DVD

HP StorageWorks Data Protector Express Single Server Version 3.10-sp3 hangs during a DVD backup. Hardware is ML370-G3, 5312 SmartArray, HP DVD (philips DVD8631 fw bb03), and either +R or -R media. After the hang, you cannot stop the backup, cannot kill the data protector process, and have to reboot to try again. No trouble making/restoring a backup to DAT72 on the same server. Trouble is only with DVD - so far I'm 4 for 4 coasters in testing. Have only tried dma=off so far. Has anyone ever succeeded making a DVD backup with this product?
2 REPLIES 2
Amal el-hawrani
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP StorageWorks Data Protector Hangs backing up to DVD

Hi Steve, I would like to help with your problem, and if you could supply some or all of the info below that would be helpful:

Do you see any error messages in the dptrace.txt file found in [drive]:\Program Files\HP Data Protector Express\log\ subdirectory?

Also does the hang occur immediately or does it hang randomly? What is the OS, version, and SP level?

Is the DVD an HP sold option, or a 3rd party option?

Can you get the DVD Inquiry Information?
If not try the following:

Instructions to get the string: With Data Protector Express running the Inquiry Information is found by selecting the device.

From Favorites on the left of the screen click on Devices. This should list the server name in the main window. Drill down on the server name until you see the DVD device and click on it. Then open the diagnostics window (Commands/Diagnostics) and look at the Device Inquiry Information.

Who is the manufacturer of the DVD-WR media, and what are the specs on it?

steve drake
Advisor

Re: HP StorageWorks Data Protector Hangs backing up to DVD

My testing of this product ended. It failed the evaluation and I was unable to recommend it for use in our organization. It's not ready for use with DVD, possibly next year I will retest to see if DVD support has matured.