108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP StorageWorks LTO-2 Ultrium 448 SAS internal tape drive issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
sidtheduck
Occasional Visitor

HP StorageWorks LTO-2 Ultrium 448 SAS internal tape drive issues

I just had the drive error light show up on our HP StorageWorks LTO-2 Ultrium 448 SAS internal tape drive.  I re-installed the firmware from L&TT and the light went off, but the tapes do not load and end in the tape error LED blinking.

I then noticed that the leader pin was missing from the last ejected tape.  I removed the tape drive and was able to gently shake the leader pin out and then reinstalled the drive.  However, it still does not read any of the other tapes.

The drive is out of warranty (ended October 2012, wouldn't you know) so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for options to try before biting the bullet and picking up another drive.  As I said, I re-installed the latest firmware for the drive and have tried both the VERITAS and Win Server 2k3 drivers, but it still does not seem to even be grabbing the leader pin from any new tapes.  Would it be worth it to crack it open and see if some of the plastic sleeve from the header pin is clogging up the grasping mechanism of the drive?

Just curious if anyone has experienced this before.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I'm sure the drive is damaged now because of the damaged tape. You need to replace the drive or find someone who can repair it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
sidtheduck
Occasional Visitor

Thanks.  I've been looking into repair places.  Any good recommendations anyone knows about near the Seattle area?