New Discussion юеВ

HP Sure Store 1/9 Autoloader

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ahmed ABDOU_1
Advisor

HP Sure Store 1/9 Autoloader

Hi,

I am in process of configuring HP Sure Store 1/9 Autoloader that is Ultrium drive with HVDS Interface on Windows 2000 with Adaptec 2940 UW card

Tape drive is not being recognized at all. I have upgraded the latest firmware as well for both drive & library controller.

Pls. advise what could be problem..

Thanks in advance

NAVID HUSSAIN
7 REPLIES 7
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Sure Store 1/9 Autoloader

I guess as soon as your drive is not recognized so you used tape to update drive's firmware, didn't you?
Are you sure that 2940UW is HVD card? I'm not... Your HVD-type autoloader requires HVD card and will not work with LVD/SE cards
Eugeny
Ahmed ABDOU_1
Advisor

Hi Eugeny,

Thanks for your reply.. I know Adaptec 2940UW is not SE card not HVD.. We may need Adaptec 2944 UW which is HVD but I did not find any document mentioning that.

I do appreciate if you can provide link or documentry evidence..

Thanks & regards

NAVID HUSSAIN
Ahmed ABDOU_1
Advisor

Hi Techie,

There is some typing mistake earlier.

Adapetc 2940UW is SE card not HVD.

Adaptec 2944UW is with HVD Interface. Is there any document stating it will not work with Adaptec 2940UW as I am attching document stating it is supported but is is not clear the interface type.

I do appreciate if some can assist me in sorting out this issue.

Thanks

NAVID HUSSAIN
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Look at this http://www.paralan.com/scsiexpert.html and http://www.paralan.com/convert.html . HVD and SE are using wires differently so they are not compatible. Second article states "HVD and single-ended are not directly compatible but using SE to HVD Converters allow mixing of these devices in the same SCSI domain"
Eugeny
Ahmed ABDOU_1
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and as per like, I am confused with the statement mentioned as

"I am sorry to have to tell you that there is no more direct compatibility between LVD and HVD SCSI than there is between HVD and SE SCSI. It does not exist."

It does not say clear that there is no compatibility between HVD and SE.

Pls. advise

Thanks

NAVID HUSSAIN
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Navid, I was confused by this phrase too. Look at this doc http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50055#P30_3597 , here you can see phrase "HVD hardware cannot be mixed with other SCSI signal types" (they mean SE and LVD)
I believe it will be enough for you :o)
Eugeny
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

A short answer is that the 2944UW is the ONLY currently available Adaptec SCSI host bus adapter that will work with this tape library. It is impossible to directly connect an HVD device to any other type of host bus adapter.

If you must use another type of host bus adapter then the links to Paralan are a good pointer.