1753936 Members
9702 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Sure Store T20i tape reading problem

Ralph Hagan
Occasional Contributor

HP Sure Store T20i tape reading problem

My clients have this HP sure store T20i scsi tape drive that all of sudden claims or indicates that any brand of Travan (TR5/NS20) tape that is used is 'bad media' and asks for different tape.

It's running on a NT4 sp6a server and no changes have been made to either the software or hardware. Tried shutting down the backup software (Veritas backup exec) and attaching to any tape with the NTbackup but it sees the tape drive but won't attach to any tape used. Bought a new tape and it still gave the same message. Tried to low level format with NTbackup but tape drive just tries to read any thing off the tapes then gives the 'bad media' error or 'unreconizable media'
message. Guessing the read/write head may have gone bad but how do I test? or could it be something else?
sometimes you have to break it to figure out how it works
3 REPLIES 3
Arimo Laine_1
Valued Contributor
CA827682

Re: HP Sure Store T20i tape reading problem

I have this same drive in two servers at the office. HP only supports HP tapes in this device. HP claims that their tapes clean the head. DO NOT CLEAN THE HEAD THIS WILL VOID THE WARRENTY. I have been having similar issues with the existing drives. It seems to be the media that has been purchased from HP in the last 6 months. Travan TR-5 (HP #C4435). Send the media back in, it is covered under warranty. See if the new media is any better. Sorry no better solution.
CA827301

Re: HP Sure Store T20i tape reading problem

Having the same problem!! All my old tapes work perfectly...we are going to do the media exchange and possibly get the DAT24i..

GOOD LUCK!