3841 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore 1/9 Ultrium drive firmware update

Christian Iseli
Advisor

HP SureStore 1/9 Ultrium drive firmware update

Hi folks,

I have an HP SureStore 1/9 Ultrium tape library attached to a Sun E250, runnign Solaris 2.7.

I use it to do backups using OmniBack 3.5.

Occasionaly, when the tape is full, the backup will fail instead of Omniback noticing that the tape is full and puting in a new one.

I have noticed that there are firmware upgrades for this tape drive, and am wondering how to do the upgrade. I don't have an easy way to connect the drive to a Windows machine.

It seems I could do the update using a "firmware upgrade tape". I downloaded the firmware from HP's site (Ultrium_1-SCSI_E15V_HPlib.frm).

Is it just a matter of dd'ing the file on a tape and launching the tape firmware update ? Or is it more complicated ?

What are my options ?

TIA for any info.

Cheers,
Christian
3 REPLIES 3
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: HP SureStore 1/9 Ultrium drive firmware update

Hi Christian,

The drive upgrade can be done via SCSI (Library and Tapetools) and a firmware upgrade tape. This tape needs to be created using a script that runs on Library and tapetools (sorry)

I suggest opening a call with HP on this and have them supply you with the tape to upgrade your Ultrium drive.

Also, i don't believe that DD-ing the image will do the trick.

best regards,

-Eric
meekrob
Super Advisor

Dear Christian,

Did you open a call with HP regarding the Upgrade FW with Solaris??

My problem is that we have downloadeed teh FW into .frm files but we need to use the *.dlx file and *.bin files to do the Upgrade

How can we do that ?

Please advise and reply to
support@rt2i.com
suzanne_seif@cis.com.lb
Christian Iseli
Advisor

Uh, it's been quite a while. IIRC, in the end I just hunted down a Windows laptop with a SCSI interface, and did the firmware upgrade with HP's provided Windows utility.