108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore E Tape Library Firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
uspfoms
Regular Advisor

HP SureStore E Tape Library Firmware

WE HAVE A HP SURESTORE E 2/20 TAPE LIBRARY ON A HP9000 L2000 (RP5450) RUNNING HP UX11.0
THE FIRMWARE FOR THE DRIVES IS V59 WHICH I THINK IS CURRENT.
THE LIBRARY IS USING VERSION 1.33.0.
I STARTED TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST LIBRARY FIRMWARE A WEEK AGO
AFTER STUMBLING ACROSS THE LTT V2.8 BETA VERSION I THINK THAT IS THE WAY TO GO, SINCE MY LIBRARY
IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE LAN AND MY VERSION OF STM IS 3 YEARS OLD.
I THINK LTT IS THE WAY TO GO, BUT AFTER GETTING IN WHAT SEEMS LIKE A ENDLESS LOOP ON THE HP WEB SITES
I CAN'T FIND THE LATEST LIBRARY FIRMWARE FILE TO USE WITH LTT FOR UNIX .........
BOTTOM LINE WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE FILE ????
ALSO I'M USING OBII VERSION 4.1 TO MANAGE THIS LIBRARY WILL A FIRMWARE UPGRADE CAUSE ME TO HAVE TO REBUILD OBII ?

13 REPLIES 13
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP SureStore E Tape Library Firmware

Hi:

This should do it:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=A5584A&prodName=hp+surestore+e+tape+library+model+2%2F20&locale=en_US&taskId=8418&taskName=download+drivers+%26+software&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=34103&prodSeriesName=hp+surestor#HP-UX 11.x

If that fails:
www.hp.com -> drivers -> HP Drivers -> Enter product or model: 2/20 -> hp surestore e tape library model 2/20 -> drivers & downloads -> HP-UX 11.x

and no, a firmware change does nothing that requires an OB2 reconfiguration (as long as the SCSI target ID's remain constant).
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
uspfoms
Regular Advisor

THAT'S THE SAME LOOP I HAVE BEEN IN... THE FIRMWARE AT THOSE SITES IS FOR STM, I'M
USING LTT FOR UX 11.0.

THANKS
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Firmware for LTT and STM on HP-UX is slightly different. We are still working on posting the bundles for LTT on HP-UX. In the meanwhile you can download the bundles for LTT on Windows, extract the file you need and copy it over.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I replied to your email to the LTT team mailbox, but for completeness here:

You can use the remote management card firmware image (1.40) that is posted under software updates and drivers. As mentioned above, you can also use the files from the LTT windows bundles. In this specific case, you can also use the STM firmware file, as the library images are common between STM and LTT (however drive images and bridges are different).

For LTT/UX, the firmware files should be placed in the /opt/ltt/firmware directory.
The journey IS the reward.
uspfoms
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I downloaded the Windows version but now I'm
confused about which .frm file
to use for the library.

The LTT_C7200-8000_1400.frm
OR
The LTT_C7200_1400.frm

I do have dlt8000 drives
but I'm upgrading the LIBRARY.

THANKS AGAIN
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I'm confused about which .frm file to use for the library.

> The LTT_C7200-8000_1400.frm
> OR
> The LTT_C7200_1400.frm

> I do have dlt8000 drives but I'm upgrading the LIBRARY.

The C7200-8000 firmware file is for a library with ONLY DLT8000 drives. Note, this is the inquiry string returned by the library when it has only DLT8000 drives.

If the library has a different drive type (other than DLT8000), or has mixed drive types, then it will use C7200 for an inquiry string.

Don't worry too much about this, as LTT will automatically select only the firmware files that match your specific product ID. Each LTT firmware file has a header which includes the specific product information, which LTT uses to do the matching.

As a side note, the firmware images in this case are actually the same, but they are published as separate files since the library reports two different product IDs depending on the embedded drive type(s).

uspfoms
Regular Advisor

FOR FORUM USERS INFO.

I Was advised by HP not to load 1.40 firmware that there are problems with that version. Why does Firmware
upgrading have to be such a
$^!*^$@1 hassle ?
Derek A. Hackbardt
Esteemed Contributor

Is there a web site with a changelog for the different firmware versions?

I have libraries at the 1.3x level, 1.40, and one with the latest 1.41.0, but I don't know what's actually different between the versions.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I Was advised by HP not to load 1.40 firmware that there are problems with that version.

A problem was found with 1.40 firmware when using DLT8000 drives and older versions of the fibre interface cards (the ones without VHDC connectors). The problem would cause an error message to be reported at power-up on some units (although the unit would otherwise operate fine).

The 1.40 firmware was replaced with 1.41 to resolve this issue.

> Is there a web site with a changelog for the different firmware versions?

Yes and no. The firmware changes are documented in an XML file which HP L&TT can access. To see the changes, install and run HP L&TT. In the file menu, select "Get Files from Web", select "how all firmware for all supported devices", highlight the particular firmware file (e.g. C7200 1.41), and then click on the "Details" button.