108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Surestore 1/9 Autoloader password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Sapienza
Occasional Contributor

HP Surestore 1/9 Autoloader password

I posted last week or so about an HP Surestore 1/9 Autoloader for which I need to reset the password. The advice was to contact HP support.

Well, I did that with no success. I was on the phone for a while, trying different passwords as time passed by, and not one worked.

Does the drive need to be at a certain firmware level for the trick to work?

Is there any other way to reset the password? A jumper? Zapping an eeprom? Dropping it off the roof of a tall building?
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Surestore 1/9 Autoloader password

Frank

You should be able to clear it from the panel.
In the installation sheet it says:

Enabling and Changing a Password
From the Change Configuration menu, select Password.
- If the password is turned off, select Set New Password to enable the password.
- If the password is turned on, select Change Password to enter the new password.
It must be exactly 8 digits long.
- If the password is turned on, select Turn Password Off to clear the password.
Press OK to exit

See: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28607/lpg28607.pdf

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

For what I know, there is no way to reset the admin password from the front panel on the 1/9 if you have set one and are not able to recover.
There is a procedure, based on the date and time of the library (this should be set correctly and the responce center should be in the same time zone.
I do not know if the guy you call was aware, but the procedure is the same as for the 2/20 and EML library, so I suggest you to call again and expain this

Hope this help

Marino
Frank Sapienza
Occasional Contributor

Marino,

Thank you. I was wondering about the time zone difference. The support rep asked only for the date and time on the front panel, not time zone. I guess I will have to call again and confirm the time zone on the rep's system with the front panel UTC+0.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

I checked, and time zone is not realy a problem in your case,as it is not set, but here are the procedure

├в ┬в User tells call center the date & time displayed.
├в ┬в Tell user to press Button 1 (the left-most button). This button is NOT labeled. (NOTE: this will only work if there is a password set.)
├в ┬в User sees a warning message (to call service), then must press ├в OK├в
├в ┬в Call Center calculates special password
:-
├в ┬в Give the final result to the user.
├в ┬в User enters this special code on the front panel, then presses 'OK'
├в ┬в Screen confirms that the user password has been reset.
├в ┬в Urge the user to set a new password.

Important note to pay attention, this could made your special password invalid:
-If the time displayed is close to an hour change (e.g. 15:59), the call center may choose to advise the user to wait until 16:00 to enter the 'special password' (and call center calculates password accordingly).

-Within the library, the date & time used to calculate the ├в special password├в is stored at the moment the user presses button 1 while displaying current date & time. i.e. once the user has reached the ├в warning - call service├в screen, or the subsequent ├в enter special password├в screen, the special password remains valid until the user chooses to leave these screens.
Frank Sapienza
Occasional Contributor

Marino,

Thanks very much. This explains the problem I had with resetting the password. The support rep didn't mention anything about pressing the '1' key at the date and time screen. I was entering the password he gave me at the regular password entry screen.