1752808 Members
6823 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Surestore DAT drive problems

CA878082

HP Surestore DAT drive problems

Hi,

Ive read these forums for some months now and tried the suggested fixes for my problem. We have several customers using HP DAT drives and notice problems when used in conjunction with W2K ntbackup.
The most annoying being when tapes are inserted in the drive RSM does not realise a tape has been inserted. Refreshing the drive via GUI or command line (rsm /refresh ....) does not change this state. The only work-around we have found is to try an 'inject', where upon RSM realises there is already a tape in the drive, I don't believe there is a command-line option to inject. We have this problem with the C1533A (with latest firmware A907) and a C1537A (with latest firmware L111). Both machines are SBS2000 with w2k service pack 3. Has anyone had any joy fixing this problem?

TIA,
Ryan
7 REPLIES 7
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Surestore DAT drive problems

Ryan, did you try HP recommended host bus adapters http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html ?
Eugeny
CA851443
Occasional Advisor

CA821585
Occasional Advisor

Have you tried disabling rsm?
CA878082

Thanks for the tips. I dont think I'm having the same problem as you Michael.
The controller is an Adaptec AHA-2940AU in the server mentioned below (with the C1533A) which is recommended by HP (thanks for the link though Eugeny).
Anyway one of the machines has mysteriously decided to start recognising tapes again?? Nothing has changed since (about three restarts ago) I installed an Ultrium drive on the server. Maybe I could try that on the other?!, might be cheaper in the long run.
I guess I'll try disabling RSM on the other server, do you have any informative links on how best to do this Kevin? implications etc? I'm guessing I'll just lose the tape cataloging features?

Thanks,
Ryan
CA912008

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic here, but I don't enjoy beating my head against a rock :>. I had these same problems with my C1533A and backupnt.exe, so I bought BackupMyPC from an outfit with the unlikely name of Stomp ( this is a former Veritas program - their "desktop" version of their backup software. I have had no problems since with my backup - everything is "there" when I want to restore.

What a crock! You would think a company like MS would be able to put out a functioning backup program. I lost 2 backup sets - some of them containing graphics representing hours of editing before I wised up. I should have checked the tapes, but you get sloppy... Now my only problem is I wish I could find a utility to "read" my defective sets. BackupMyPC will scan the tape and I can see the files and folders flashing by in the window - up to a point and then it stopsand can't read any further. Oh well, at least this won't happen again. BTW, the software is only $ 70.00, certainly cheaper than HP support!

Regards,

Renne
Neil Ryan
Advisor

Renne,

If you're really hard pressed for the information on those tapes you could try a data retrieval company such as Computer Conversions (http://www.computer-conversions.com or 1-800-DATA-911) or Vogon International (http://www.vogon-data-recovery.com/index.htm or 1-800-392-5373)
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Lewis Finch
CA912008

Neil, thanks for the info re tape recovery. I was able, through persistence, to recover one backup set and part of another one using the new Veritas software. Who knew? It was well worth the $70.00.
Renne