5297 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Surestore DLT70 asking for Use Cleaning Tape more frequently

Pierre M. Camilleri
Frequent Advisor

HP Surestore DLT70 asking for Use Cleaning Tape more frequently

Hi All

We've been using this HP Surestore DLT70 tape drive for over 4 years now and lately the Use Cleaning Tape LED has been going on every week in fact on average 2-3 times a week. Our DLT tape cartridges aren't very old. In fact most are 1 year old and the increased frequency of tape drive cleaning is worrying me. Could it be that the tape drive is nearing its end of life and needs to be replaced? Your comments would be much appreciated. By the way we use genuine HP DLT tape cartridges.

TIA
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Surestore DLT70 asking for Use Cleaning Tape more frequently

Gee, your lucky that it has lasted this long. Yes the drive is nearing the end of it's life cycle. I've seen many drives, including DLT 8000's only last months let alone years.

I don't wish to place a dampener on things, but these things don't last forever. One of things that does wear these drives out prematurely is too much cleaning. Cleaning them uses an abrasive substance. Never clean a drive unless it asks to.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP Surestore DLT70 asking for Use Cleaning Tape more frequently

I would tenderly clean the drive and call for laying on of hands.

That or hope of resurection as I would believe that a DLT70 normally lasts us six months of nightly use.

Tim