4905 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.0 and MSL 5052

SOLVED
Go to solution

HP-UX 11.0 and MSL 5052

See previsious messages...

I've resolved some problem with Network Storage Router E1200. Now from ODE (MAPPER2) I can see Ultrium Tape.

Now tdutil returns good status, but when OS starts I see the following message:

"It appears that there are (or where) more than one device with the same address (nport ID) setting to 0x0. One of them will be ignored"

And, as a result, ioinitrc cannot create any device files...

The tape drive connected to to the E1200 (port 1), from E1200 to SCSI Library Adapter.

How can I resolve this error?
9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Alexandre,
plese check 'ioscan -fn' output. How many drives/changers do you see? Please attach it to your next reply
Eugeny

Output from "ioscan -fn":
fc 0 0/8/0/0 td CLAIMED INTERFACE HP Tachyon XL2 Fibre Channel Mass
Storage Adapter
/dev/td0
fcp 2 0/8/0/0.8 fcp CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP Protocol Adapter
b

Trere are no devices...

But storage router (inside library) from "SCSI Device Display Menu" shows following:

BUS 0 - LOCAL DEVICE LIST:

NO DEVICES

BUS 1 - LOCAL DEVICE LIST:

TARGET DEVICE at Bus 01 Target 01 Lun 00 is UP
HP Ultrium 1-SCSI Revision: E30W
ANSI SCSI Revision: 3 Type: Sequential Access

TARGET DEVICE at Bus 01 Target 02 Lun 00 is UP
COMPAQ MSL5000 Series Revision: 0404
ANSI SCSI Revision: 2 Type: Medium Changer
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

1. Library's firmware is not the latest (it's not related to issues you have right now, but would be better when we'll fix this one you'll do upgrade using HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html );
2. in these two lines I can see that your adapter is probably works in private loop. If yes, then please check if this library's loop-id DO NOT conflict with any other device having the same loop-id
Eugeny

Unfortunately I could not update firmware from HP_LTT, because I don't see devices connected to the H/W Path 0/8/0.

From ODE I see tape drive:
0/8/0/0.8.0.255.7.13.0 Ultrium (LTO) 1-SCSI Tape Drive...

OS cannot create device files:"...there are more than one device with the same address..."

About "Loop_id": I've 3 Tachyon XL2 adapters. First (0/8/0/0) connected to the library with Loop_id=124, second - to the Disk Array (0/10/0/0) Loop_id=125, and the last one (0/12/0/0) with Loop_id=125 (connected to the same Disk Array).

Do I need to change Loop_id for Disk Array (it works well)?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

So there's a SEPARATE loop for library, isn't it? Then you do not need to touch other devices. Only look to devices connected to this loop.
Looking to address I see private loop (guess it means direct connect) and loop-id=7*16+13=125. I'm not sure if it's possible, but check with E1200 to assign library 'hard' address, not soft one. Let's say, loop-id=1
Eugeny

There is some configuration's parameters of Network Storage Router - see attachment...

A lot of thanks!

After set HARD ALPA values to 1 system saw all devices!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

In opposite to windows, when OS plug-and-play and can identify device in different locations, hpux can not do it and links hardware path to device file. If device got moved - old device files become invalid and new are created.
So in hpux configs always use HARD addressing, and use lower part of addresses: 1-80. When hosts are booting, they try to lock highest proirity soft addresses like 126, 125, 124, etc, and this issue you saw is because storage device had loop-id greater than loop-id hpux HBA had
Eugeny