1753521 Members
5827 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Ultrium 215 is SLOW :-(

Tim Patton
Advisor

HP Ultrium 215 is SLOW :-(

I'm having a horrible time with my (2) HP Ultrium 215 tape drives.

IBM @Server x232
8668-54X
2GB RAM
(2) 18GB Mirror
(3) 36GB Raid (Hardware)
HP Ultrium 215 plugs into C7474A HBA
Both HBA and Tape drive flashed to the latest firmware

Win2k SP3

Backup Exec 8.6 w/ IDR

Seems like a pretty powerful server ehh? I'm having a horrible time with speed when backing up. I'm only getting on average, about 80MB/min. Since I have over 45GB of data, obviously this is unacceptable.

I have (2) identical servers, and they both have the identical problem. I've seen the notes in the FAQs about speed, but I believe I am following all the rules. Can someone offer me some advice?

Thanks,
Tim
16 REPLIES 16
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is there perhaps something wrong with the blocksize setting. I am not sure about default settings in Backup Exec but try to increase the blocksize to 32 or 64kB.
Tim Patton
Advisor

The block size on the backup is set to 64K

Also, I have tried running pat12.exe to see what the performance utility had to say...however, on both servers I get an error when it tries to run, and it doesn't get me any data
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Tim,
then try HP LTT's perfomance test. LTO 215 should make at least 7,5mb/s to work in the best way (without stop-rewind-start cycle and excessive head wearing) http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
What can I propose? As soon as both servers are behaving the same - check anything else - SCSI cables, terminators etc
Eugeny
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Which HBA are you using?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

You can download a utility called HP TapePerf from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL1946/co-11011-1/HPTapePerf.exe This tool writes data directly from memory to tape (use a tape which you can overwrite). It will show you the maximum throughput to your tape (should be 15 MB/sec with compressed data). If TapePerf gives a bad result then you should have a look at the ADPu160M.SYS driver of the C7474A SCSI-HBA. There are some fixes about scsi-bus speed negotiation in the latest version at the adaptec website which should solve your problem.

Good luck!
Marco
Dave COTTLE
Frequent Advisor

each LTO MUST be on a separate HBA.

I believe the rated speed for LTO215 is ~ 9 Mb/sec, so this equates to approx 1 MB/sec = 60 MB/min.

Note that LTO230 are twice as fast.
learn concepts, not methods -- a good mind devises its own methods
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Tim,

What error message do you get when you run pat? Pat should work fine on your setup. If you are getting a real error it would help us to have more info as we can possibly fix the bug in the next release.

The vast majority of issues we see with performance are invariably system related rather than drive related. The Ultrium products require well tuned systems to keep them fed. Your setup looks like it should be ok so I am not sure why you are having issues. There have been some issues with older adaptec drivers slugging performance as someone else mentioned so I would definitely check that.

Here is a link to a hp perf troubleshooting guide that might help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460#P5_340

The HP Ultrium drives use data rate matching DRM technology.
The 215 will keep streaming down to 6MB/s native. Obviously, achieving 7.5MB/s native is better for performance.

The Ultrium 230 has a DRM range of 6-15MB/s and the Ultrium 460 has a range of 10-30MB/s.

As long as you hit transfer rates in these ranges the tape drive will be streaming (not repositioning) and wear and tear on heads, drive and media will be minimised.

If the data transfer rate from the host varies, and it typically does with real customer data, the drives will slow down and speed up within their DRM ranges to try to keep streaming, quite clever really :-)

One other thing to bear in mind with the 215, if it detects that the thermal environment is too hot, then it will limit its performance to 6MB/s. LTT has a thermal cooling check test you can run on any HP Utrium drive to check that it has been installed with adequate cooling. My guess is that you have your 215's installed internally in your servers.
You might want to run the cooling check after you have solved your other performance issue if you find you can't get more than 6MB/s.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar.

Tim Patton
Advisor

Thanks for all of your replies, here's my update.

1. Both servers are acting the EXACT same. They both get about a little over 100MB/min.

2. The version of ADPU160M.SYS is 7.0.4100.100, which is higher than Adaptec's version on their website 6.1.530.201. This was an update off of Microsoft's Windowsupdate.

3. Each server has ONLY one tape drive. Both tape drives are on ID 6, and BOTH tape drives are the ONLY device plugged into HP's C7474A HBA. The HBA is running the latest firmware

4. According to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460 the speed of the tape drive should be (native) 450MB/minute...this is MegaBytes, not Megabits. I'm only getting 100MB/minute

5. I just ran the HPtapePerf, and it reports the following

Testing With 2:1 Compression Ratio
Opening Tape Drive 0
Rewinding...
Setting Blocksize to 64K
Writing...
4096.00 MB written in 2213.67 seconds, 1.85 MB/s
Rewinding...
Closing Tape Drive 0

6. I do not get an error msg when I run PAT, other than "problem during the full test method"

7. I took some of the advice above, and ran a temperature check. The tape drive SAYS that it is reaching overheating levels. It says it's reaching 50 degrees celcius. It also says it's normal temperature is about 39 degrees. This is absolutely false. The server doesn't run anywhere near that temperature, and the tape drive is definately cold to the touch. What is it doing? (Both servers' tape drives are reporting this).

I appreciate all of the help I have recieved so far. Hopefully we can figure this out

Thanks,
Tim
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

1.85Mb/s is roughly 100Mb/min. If tapeperv is reporting the same speed, then DEFINETELY it is not the software, it is some kind of hardware problem.

It could be the terminators or the cables on your Ultrium drives. What kind of terminators are you using? These should DEFINETELY not be single-ended. At least, LVD terminators.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!