Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Ultrium 3-SCSI detects all media as CLEANING

salvabatz
Occasional Visitor

HP Ultrium 3-SCSI detects all media as CLEANING

Hello.

I have a Sun StorEdge C4 library with two HP Ultrium 3-SCSI drives. The robotics are working well but when I try to copy or label an Ultrium 3 cartridge under Veritas Backup Exec 10.d and Windows 2003 all the cartridges are marked as "Cleaning Cartridge".

Any idea why?
Thanks.
3 REPLIES
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP Ultrium 3-SCSI detects all media as CLEANING

Have you put the cleaning tape bar codes on by mistake, which came with the library and/or tapes. I did this myself, when I had run out of other labels. They are not accepted as anything but cleaning tapes!

JASH
If I can, I will!
salvabatz
Occasional Visitor

I think I have not done that. With the drives there are two types of barcodes. Some (40) with the format ACPXXXL3 and others (5) with CLNXXXL1. I suppose the cleaning ones are those starting with CLN and I've used the other ones. I think they can't be shipping 40 cleaning barcodes with the library but I don't really know.

Thanks for your answer.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

You are correct, tapes with "CLNxxx" barcodes are always treated as cleaning tapes. If those labels are are cleaning tapes then you should have that part configured correctly.

If you can load a tape into a drive and then use L&TT http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools and pull a support ticket from the tape drive it will show what the tape drive thinks the tape is.