StoreEver Tape Storage
1748089 Members
5045 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Ultrium 920 External SCSI backup failed using Data protector express 4.00

Boon Han Ong

HP Ultrium 920 External SCSI backup failed using Data protector express 4.00

Dear HP, we have purchased 6 new HP server and along with HP Ultrium 920 external SCSI Tape drive. I installed Microsoft windows 2003 server standard edition 32bit and the backup software that comes along with it ( Data protector express). The problem is, it always failed on backup even a folder which is offline with abour 500mb file on it. Is the data protector express compatible with the server that we purchased? We do have Veritas backup exec 9.1 but i found the hardware compability list of version 9.1 dont support the tape drive we purchased. I found a page at your forum stating that the Tape drive will work with veritas backup exec 9.1 if the vertas driver for the tape drive is installed??? how to do that? Thanks

regard,
Bullzeyes23
7 REPLIES 7
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP Ultrium 920 External SCSI backup failed using Data protector express 4.00

Here you go

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Boon Han Ong

Dear TapeDrive Killer, have u tried it? I mean, using Veritas 9.1 to backup along with HP Ultrium 920 SCSI external?
Boon Han Ong

TapeKiller, it doesn't work.
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

Dear Bullzeyes23,

You haven't specified which HP server exactly you are using but I can still say that you do have a supported configuration. Data Protector Express is supported with both Windows 2003 32-bit and the HP Ultrium 920 SCSI External. Please provide more details. What is the error message you are seeing in Data Protector Express? Can you attach the backup log?

Also, please check that the Windows Removable Storage service is turned off. It may be interfering with your backup. To do this do:

1) Start > Run...
2) Type "compmgmt.msc" and press
3) Expand... Services and Applications > Services
4) Find the "Removable Storage" service in the list on the right.
5) Right-click "Removable Storage" and Stop the service. You may also want to open up its properties and Disable it so that it will not turn back on when you restart your HP server.
6) Retry your Data Protector Express backup.

If it still does not work please provide the error details and the backup log.

Thanks,
Russell
Boon Han Ong

Hi thanks for responding, but i have found a thread that is related to my problem. http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1213970

Our server:
- HP Proliant DL360 G5
- HP Ultrium 3-SCSI (External LTO Ultrium 920 400/800 Gb
- HP LSI Adapter Ultra320 SCSI 2000 Series(W/1020/1030)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 server R2 32bit
- 6GB RAM

Plan to use Veritas backup exec any version thats will work. Currently using version 9.1 planning to purchased 12.5 if work though.

Testing with HP Data protector express 4.00 but failed once in a while with fresh installed server. Only backup full hard disk on C drive.

Boon Han Ong

Tried Netvault today and sadly also failed even worse. It detect the HP ultrium 920 and able to erase/blank tape, but failed occur within 5 sec when backup job started. Very frustrated. We were wondering if the SCSI card is supported? Before we purchase all the things we inform the vendor to check all the hardware and software is compatible. sad but true. Its not compatible. The server we tried to backup is a frsh installed server without any database running. The lesson is, think twice before purchasing server.
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I assure you that the SCSI card IS supported. The HP Backup Compatibility web site (http://www.hp.com/go/connect) shows the support here:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/Detail/16-0036-0106.html

Additionally, if you scroll down to the Supported OS section and click the link for Windows 2003 (x86) you will find all the backup applications and versions supported.

The problem you are describing is possibly happening because a service is repeatedly checking the SCSI bus for connected devices. When it does this during a tape backup it can interrupt the backup, causing it to fail. The Removable Storage service does this, which is why I recommended you turn it off. Additionally, the HP Insight Storage Agent service is also known to do this. If it is installed and you do not need it you can try turning it off to see if that helps.