StoreEver Tape Storage
1753254 Members
4738 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Ultrium not listed in device manager.

Michael Minchella
Occasional Contributor

HP Ultrium not listed in device manager.

I have a Win2k3 server, connected to an external Ultrium 448 backup device. This device has been functioning for a number of weeks. however today, the device has disappeared from the server - all trace of it has gone!
I have checked Device Manager, L&TT, checked on bootup - nothing lists this drive as connected.
I have attempted swapping the drive enclosures to rule out cable issues within the 1U box, but i do not have an external cable to swap to test that. I have reinstalled the drivers for the device from the HP website. I have tried changing the SCSI id and the server has been rebooted several times. i have checked the event log for any errors, but i cannot spot any relating to this drive, or even any for the SCSI channels.

Any tips on how to get the drive functioning again please?
Regards
Michael
2 REPLIES 2
Drago Brelih

Re: HP Ultrium not listed in device manager.

Michael, dont you just hate things that go wrong for no apparent reason!

If you don't see the device in the boot up - when the SCSI controller initialises - then you must have a hardware problem. Don't assume anything and go back step by step as if you were installing it for the first time.

Ckeck that your SCSI controller is recognised during boot.

Check that when your SCSI controller initialises that it can see the tape drive.

Then, ideally a process of substitution would be most helpfull otherwise you'll have to send your tape drive and cable to someone else to hook up and test.

Try to think of anything that has changed in the last day or so even if it doesnt appear to be related. cables plugged / unpluged, equipment moved, etc.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Ultrium not listed in device manager.

Michael, Some more information please. If the tape drive is not listed during POST you have a definite hardware problem as this is base level detection. What else is connected to the SCSI controller and what kind is it? Does the controller itself show on POST? What kind of server do you have?
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"