5935 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP response - Colorados and XP

CA845097
Occasional Advisor

John et al:

Thanks for the info so far. I am having the WinXP problem with an HP 20GB INTERNAL drive. I also have a problem in that the tape drive is recognized by device manager, but it shows no resources (IRQ and I/O) being used, so I can't upgrade the firmware using the DOS workaround, as it requires this info. Any ideas?
CA845097
Occasional Advisor

Folks:
I answered (part of) my own question. I realized I had my tape on the primary IDE chain, and it uses different IRQ and I/O addresses from the secondary chain (obviously). I changed the correct entries in the .ini file, and the DOS firmware update worked. By the way, make sure you edit the line that says "deviceid=colorado 14 gb" to read 20gb, if you have the 20 - I know, intuitive, but easy to miss. The only problem now, is that I still have the problem (under WinXP Pro) with the error message O5-0E-23-01-0524. This is a firmware problem, per the Dex interpretation chart on the HP site, and I have upgraded the firmware. So, and I know you can all see this one coming, why don't BUMP or the native WinXP b/u utility work (both give the same error message listed above)? Sorry for the long post, but I just had some pizza and a Coke, and I have to burn off the calories doing something, right?! Thanks.
bollen
Frequent Advisor

John,

Today I reinstalled my HP Colorado 8GBi. Nothing changed: Windows XP still regognises the device but still doesn't see a tape. I then installed BUMP 4.81. And I am sorry to say: that didn't change a thing either.

Attached the error message I get from BUMP and a driver listing from Device Managment (partly in Dutch but the screen dump is of a very common one so I hope you'll understand).

L8r, Henk
Steve Jollineau

I have a Colarado 14gb internal drive that XP Pro recognises. The drive works fine with XP's Backup, but I cannot get it the drive to use compresssion (yes, I'm telling Backup to use hardware compression).

A review of the drive's properties (under device manager) reveals the following. The driver installed is Microsoft's qic157, which should be ok based on previous posts. Under the Tape Drive Parameters Tab, the Compression Capable and Compression Enabled items both are set to FALSE and there is no way for me to change these settings.

How can I get my drive to store compressed data?

Steve
REYMOND

Hi steve,
could you please send me a copy of the driver's you've used. I have the same configuration as you have, but i can't make it work.
thanks.
Cedric
adrian_20
Advisor

for those of you who cannot get their backup drives working...what motherboards are you using, are they intel chipsets or via chipsets?
CA816442
Advisor

I am one who is still not working. It did work. For two backups and then the old problem returned of not correctly recognizing the media. Been the same since.

I have a HP COlorado 8GB internal unit.

I'm using an ASUS motherboard with an AMD Athlon 1.4 Mhz CPU, using the VIA IDE chipset.

I would REALLY like a solution.

-Ric
...like a rolling stone
adrian_20
Advisor

I too have a via ide chipset but use an intel cpu. Im wondering if it is the Via chipset causing the problem. Im wondering for the people who have the problems with the tape drive if they have installed the via 4in1 drivers or not.

I have gotten my driver to work the first time I installed the 8gbi. But after I restarted the computer, it no longer worked. That makes me think that the windows native qic driver works, but its some other driver that is interfering with it...possibly a chipset driver.
adrian_20
Advisor

to tell you the truth, if it is a problem with the via chipset, it reminds me of a problem i used to get often with the newer via chipsets and iomega zip drives at my computer repair company. i dont have access to my tape drive computer and i was wondering if someone would like to try what i have in mind.

heres my idea...
-uninistall the tape drive in device manager
-goto http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip and download the latest 4in1 drivers
-then install the via iomega busmaster fix for zip drives http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/IDE_MPD3014.zip
-then restart and windows should pick up the tape drive and hopefully it will work
adrian_20
Advisor

the iomega fix is actually vias ide miniport driver. it adds funcionality to to the standard MS via driver if needed. and may enable the tape driver to use commands and functions that otherwise would not be supported under native ide drivers. for more info on this check out
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=66