4206 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP surestore 24i - stuck tape and L&tt problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mitch Leupp

HP surestore 24i - stuck tape and L&tt problem

Recently have had tapes get stuck in our DAT 24i. 1st problem in over a year of use. Is backing up a windows 2000 server.
Shut down and reboot usually works to get the tape out.
I tried downloading L&TT for this but get error message - could not identify correct NT miniport driver to use for access to this device. (address 2/0.3.0)
Obviously it won't run any diagnositcs
Thanks for any help
Mitch Leupp

8 REPLIES 8
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

I am not sure why you got ' could not identify correct NT miniport drive '
but I would suggest to uninstall L&TT, and reinstall it with ASPI selected.
then When you run the L&TT select ASPI option and see if that would help.
Let me know!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> could not identify correct NT miniport driver ...

You're getting the error with LTT because you either did not shutdown your backup services, or you have Windows Removeable Storage Manager enabled. Some other application (or service) has the device opened.

The ASPI option is one way around it, as it uses a backdoor path to the devices (around the OS), but it usually requires a reboot for the install.
The journey IS the reward.
Mitch Leupp

Thanks for the help. I will try this and let you know if it works.
Mitch Leupp
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Mitch

(1) If you upgraded L&TT v3.4 over an older version (e.g. v2.7) uninstall both L&TT- reboot and install L&TT v3.4 (choose to add the ASPI support just in case)
(2) Ensure all your backup services are stopped (i.e. BUE, ARCserve...etc)
(3) Stop and disabled RSM (if your using a 3rd party software like BUE)
(4) Run L&TT (try the NT mini-port first)
(5) By flashing firmware your tape should get kicked out without the need of a reboot
(6) Run device analysis and read the results - may require a recalibration

hope this helps

Cheers
Bob

[ remember the points :-) ]
Mitch Leupp

I did get the LT&T to work by methods suggested.
I get a warning that I have questions about. "You appear to be using very old tapes not designed for this drive." We are using the HP DDS3 tapes which I believe are the correct tapes. Any comment on this?
I also got a message about not cleaning the device enough. We have stepped up the cleaning schedule per recommendation on the website. Does the cleaning issue get generated by # of times cleaned or by actual state of the device?
By the way the cleaning tape did stick and by flashing the firmware it did eject.
Thanks for all the help!
Mitch

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I get a warning that I have questions about. "You appear to be using very old tapes not designed for this drive." We are using the HP DDS3 tapes which I believe are the correct tapes. Any comment on this?

The drive keeps a log of tape insertions, based on the tape length. It's stored in the TapeTools compatability section of the support ticket. There are some conditions that cause the counters in the serial eeprom to get out of sync. If you post a support ticket (.ltt file), I can take a look.

> I also got a message about not cleaning the device enough. We have stepped up the cleaning schedule per recommendation on the website. Does the cleaning issue get generated by # of times cleaned or by actual state of the device?

The drive keep track of cleaning insertions. The device analysis rule compares the number of cleanings to the amount of tape pulling hours. I don't recall the actual ratio threshold, but I'll look into it.
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

General recommendation would be to clean the drive weekly
That once a week cleaning should be ok, as long as you are not running more that 3 hrs backup in 24hrs. Other wise you will need to clean it more often
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> The drive keep track of cleaning insertions. The device analysis rule compares the number of cleanings to the amount of tape pulling hours. I don't recall the actual ratio threshold, but I'll look into it.

The device analysis algorithm is quite simple. If the tape pulling time divided by cleanings (to find the average time between cleanings) is > 20 hours, than you get the message.

If you've been undercleaning for some time, then it will take time for the average to catch up.

The DDS manual says to clean once every 5 full tape backups.