5396 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPDAT72 USB tape after reboot server reported as unknown device

Marcel_Brown
Advisor

HPDAT72 USB tape after reboot server reported as unknown device

Hi there,

I have a HP Proliant ML350 G5 with Windows 2003 SP2. For about 6 months it runs perfect, running backups with Data Protector Express 3.50 SP1. Yesterday the server had to be powered down due to maintenance on the UPS, so nothing installed before the powerdown like Microsoft updates. After the poweron, the drive is reported as Unknown Device in the Device Manager. Data Protector says it's offline. When disconnecting he USB cable and reconnect it Windows reports is cannot recognise the USb device. Tried reinstalling the driver from the driverCD, rebooted the server but no luck.

I do not have a clue what happened. Now I have a drive that is in use 6 months and it doesn't work anymore. Can anyone help?

Marcel
4 REPLIES 4
thomas rush
Frequent Advisor

No guarantee, but a suggestion that might help.

Disconnect the tape drive.

Go into device manager and see if the tape drive is showing up. If not, find "show hidden devices" under the "view" menu. (If the drive did not show up under hidden devices, see if plugging it in causes it to show up; if so, proceed with the following steps with the drive connected and powered up.)

Right-click on the tape drive device, select "uninstall".

Best at this point to reboot if possible. If not, you can try plugging it in anyway.
IF POSSIBLE, use a different physical USB port.

See if the drive is recognized.
thomas rush
Frequent Advisor

No guarantee, but a suggestion that might help.

Disconnect the tape drive.

Go into device manager and see if the tape drive is showing up. If not, find "show hidden devices" under the "view" menu. (If the drive did not show up under hidden devices, see if plugging it in causes it to show up; if so, proceed with the following steps with the drive connected and powered up.)

Right-click on the tape drive device, select "uninstall".

Best at this point to reboot if possible. If not, you can try plugging it in anyway.
IF POSSIBLE, use a different physical USB port.

See if the drive is recognized.
Marcel_Brown
Advisor

Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to solve it finaly myself a week ago. A normal shutdown / poweroff didnt't work but just disconnecting the powercable of the drive only and connect it back again worked.

I will remember your suggestion for a next time.
Ashraf Indung
Occasional Advisor

Marcel,

Agreed. We also can take note that,as normally for troubleshooting steps purpose, we should take action first with "cables connection".
From hardware parts, then we can obsolete to software/app.

Cheers