1752679 Members
5663 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPLTO error in System Event Log

Chris Gregurek
Occasional Contributor

HPLTO error in System Event Log

I have HP 4/40 Ultrium library using Syncsort Backup Express on a HP Netserver running 2000 Adv. Always when trying to re-use a tape and sometimes during operation i get a "read error" in the application. When the read error is generated an error in the System log saying "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Tape0" appears. Both companies say it's not their system but i think it's the LTO driver. HELP!!
It's not the destination but the journey that makes it interesting.
6 REPLIES 6
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: HPLTO error in System Event Log

The two primary causes I have seen of this problem are host software timeouts set too short, and poor SCSI signals. What kind of HBA are you using? I've seen this happen on other tape products with Adaptec 2940U2B's and the problem went away when I got a better HBA.
Chris Gregurek
Occasional Contributor

Currently we are using the adaptec 29160. we have 2 tape drives cascaded to this one controller. We were not told until after the unit came in that HP prefers one drive per controller so we have ordered an HP 2M Netraid card to replace the adaptec. i would not know how to change the timeout rate of this software but if you have any ideas i'm open because as it is now i have to remote in everyday and reformat/relabel that days tapes so they will be used.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
if you have curently one adapter wich control 4 drives plus the robot, probably the problem is exactly like Curtis said you,
but be careful because netraid usualy doesn't support storages devices, you may encoure in problem, the best think is to connect one drive to one controller, the robot have no inportance in chainig it to a drive.
to diagnose your problem, check also if the error message is always related to one drive or accur on all drives.
bye
marino
Chris Gregurek
Occasional Contributor

Actually we have a 29160 controlling 2 drives each. Are you sure about the 2M's not being able to control drives?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
I am quite sure, remenber that with a date device the time out need to be very hight, in a raid controller the time out is used as a prdictive failure, so probably the driver and the firmware will not handle corectly the flow of data.
Check with your HP rapresentative for correct netraid specification
HP recommand one scsi chanel per drive to avoid scsi time out.
bye
marino
Mike Kramer

Also, see if Syncsort has their own tape drivers.
Anyhow, I'm using Ultrium 230E single drives, each to their own Adaptec 29160, updated everything, no PCI IRQ sharing, etc.
I have a Netserver LH6000, and I'm convinced from other messages I've read that it is some problem with Netservers and these drives or adapters. I get Event 11's and Event 9's all over my event viewer and I've tried everything. Using RAIDirector the problem increases greatly in frequency.