StoreEver Tape Storage
1753774 Members
6903 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSuretore E 1/20 firmware upgrade failure.

SOLVED
Go to solution

Curtis,

I found out how to generate the support ticket and I attach to this post the gzipped file.

Thanks for your explanations,

Roberto.

Vincent,

to be able to run the test you suggested me, I need the Administration password. Unfortunately it was set by the previous system administator, well before my arrival in the Company. The manual says to contact an HP representative. Is there a way to reset it by myself?

Thanks,
Roberto.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Roberto,
does LTT asks password to run tests? I believe you can find this tests in LTT test list.
Attached support ticket gives me HTTP 404 error. ITRC can not handle (from my experience) files other than zip, txt and pictures. So please zip ticket with windows winzip and attach again
Eugeny

Eugeny,

the tests Vincent suggested to perform might be run by the Administration Menu on the Library and to access that manu it asks for a password.

The library test in LTT fails any, anyhow, seems not to perform the tests mentioned by Vincent.

I attach the zipped Support Ticket...

Thanks,
Roberto.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hello Roberto,

>>Sense Key: 0x05 (ILLEGAL REQUEST)
>>Additional Sense Code/Qualifier: 0x26/00
mean:
ILLEGAL REQUEST
INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST

>>Revision of firmware on the device (SCSI Media Changer) is unchanged.
>>The firmware update for device at 8/0.0.0 was not completed.

apparently the command are not right, so:
- be sure that the frm file is not corrupted,
- Is the library in his basic configuration or did you change it ?
-did you have a Remote Controller Board? try to remove it
-did you run the specific test with L&TT for controller and drive?
-the test mentioned by Vincent can be run via L&TT uunder tests
-What is the component in ID 0 ?

If you need to reset the Administrator Password, just log a call to HP support, they will help you to reset it.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I've reviewed the support ticket you attached. Apparently there is a bug in the device analysis utility for the version of library firmware you have. I'll submit that defect. I think there should be a newer version on the web. If you have network access LTT will query a site for the latest script version. It doesn't take any time to download even over a dial up.

You have a very early library. With the error message you are getting it is almost certain that the library controller is one that slipped out with the small memory chips. Call HP support and get it replaced.

The number is (970) 635-1000. Hopefully the agent can just ship you a new board.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

A little more info. I have reviewed the firmware. Your library has 1.03.0 firmware. That firmware revision was released before the small memory problem was detected and is not capable of reporting memory size so the LTT support ticket will not report the memory size in the device analysis.

I tried to attach a copy of the 1.14.0 firmware in case you would like to try it but it is too large. If you want to download 1.14.0 firmware you can send an email to ltt_team@hp.com and request it. I would still recommend that you get the controller replaced though.

I have also checked on the device analysis script you are using. It is the latest revision so attempting to update it would be a waste of time. It is failing on a read-logs command. With the 1.03.0 firmware that read-logs command was different from later revisions and the script isn't handling it properly. We will get that fixed but it won't help you it will just enable more device analysis steps to complete.

Hello Curtis!

The information you gave me has been very useful. I updated the firmware to 1.14.0 and I enclose here the Support Ticket generated by LTT with this new firmware release.

The Company I'm working for hasn't yet renewed the support contract with HP. Should the controller board be replaced as well without any fee?

Roberto.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

For some reason I am unable to retrieve the support ticket. I've tried from several computers but I always get a response indicating that the file is missing.

You can try and repost or you can check the file for yourself. If you open the file in LTT and set the detail level at the top to everything you can then expand the data for the tape library.

Select "Detailed Device Information"
Select "Media Changer at address XXX"
Select "Device Analysis"

There should be a line in "Device Analysis" about "Library Controller Flash Memory Size". Most boards report 1.0MB (Intel PA28F800 chip).

If your board reports a smaller memory chip then the board should be replaced even though the library is not under a support contract at this time. As mentioned above send an email to ltt_team@hp.com if you have any problems.

Curtis!

I apologize for attaching a .gz file which is not handled by the forum software. I checked the Device Analysis section by myself and found the following text:

- Device Analysis
- Device Analysis for Tape Libraries
- Product ID is 'C7200-8000'
- Script is unable to verify if this device is using latest firmware - revsion data were not loaded from web.
- The test function encountered an unrecoverable error condition, the test failed.
- SCSIScript: auto abort triggered (Line: 249, Error: Auto abort triggered)
- The Device Analysis function was interrupted due to an error - the output may be truncated as a result of this. This does not necessarily indicate a device failure, and is more likely due to an unexpected condition in the LTT device analysis script for this device family. Please report this problem to HP for analysis by sending a Tool Status Report to ltt_team@hp.com via the Help menu of LTT.

I enclose again the zipped Support Ticket and in the meanwhile I open a call for the substitution of the controller card.

Thanks a bunch for your useful help!

Roberto.