StoreEver Tape Storage
1752562 Members
4076 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX command to get Serial Number of Tape Drives

Marci Formato

HPUX command to get Serial Number of Tape Drives

I have a HPUX server that is zoned to see an IBM 3584 tape library with Ultrium LTO2 tape drives. Is there a way that I can view the serial numbers of the tape drives? ioscan command only shows me the h/w path. I want the actual physical serial number. Thanks, Marci
4 REPLIES 4
Sean Dale
Trusted Contributor

Re: HPUX command to get Serial Number of Tape Drives

Unless the drive came with software to do this, I don't think there is a command to find that. Since all drives are different and mostly proprietary, there probably isn't a command that would find that information from all drives. I would search the IBM site to see if they have any utilities to do this.
Live life everyday
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Try this command

# echo "map; wait; selall; wait; info; wait; infolog; view; done" | cstm > /tmp/cstm.txt

Maybe you can get the required information from the library management software.
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Hi Marci,

I'm assuming these are IBM LTO2 drives?

With HP drives you can use LTT (Library & Tape Tools from www.hp.com/support/tapetools) which is our diagnostic tool. You can get the serial numbers from there.

I'm less clear what happens with IBM drives. It will find them OK but functionality will be limited - you may still get to see the serial number though as that's quite high level.

Worth a try if the other methods suggested don't get you what you need.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Anovo
Occasional Advisor

Hello Marci,
If you├в re connected to a library, have you tried the mc command with the ├в n option?
Have tested it with Ultrium 2/3 drives and STK L180, and it returns me the drive S/N
Ciao, - St├Г┬йphane.