StoreEver Tape Storage
1752577 Members
5403 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Harddrive died. Can't recvr cause win98 won't recgnze drive. (Colorado 20GB int. IDE)

James Taylor_12

Harddrive died. Can't recvr cause win98 won't recgnze drive. (Colorado 20GB int. IDE)

My hard drive is dead, and I can't restore the data from my backup tape in Windows98SE. I ran a system recovery from the tools directory off of the Win98 CD. When the Windows installation completes, a window will popup asking me from what source do I want to restore my files from. I always choose from tape backup, but an error stating no valid backup devices found comes up every time. I looked in device manager and it does show a HP Colorado 20GB Tape Drive. I contacted HP's tech support and they said no drivers are available for download (I don't have the install CD anymore). Also, if I go into the backup program and try to manually restore, the program asks for a .qid file (I think its a tree structure of my backup) that was on the dead hard drive in order to restore my files from tape. Can someone please help me. I have thousands of my patients records on that backup.
4 REPLIES 4
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Harddrive died. Can't recvr cause win98 won't recgnze drive. (Colorado 20GB int. IDE)

I'm not sure I understand how you have made your backup, with this unit usualy there was a sw called Colorado Backup, if you used this tool, in order to restore data, you have to reinstall first this application, then catalogue your tape and restore the file you need.
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Harddrive died. Can't recvr cause win98 won't recgnze drive. (Colorado 20GB int. IDE)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=63935&prodTypeId=12169&pnameOID=18513&swEnvOID=20

this is the link where to find info
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
James Taylor_12

Thank you for your help. I used the backup utility that came with Windows98SE. When doing the backup, I checked my entire "C" drive and all of its subdirectories. Unfortunately, the .qid file that was created was saved to the C: drive (dead), and not to floppy. Now when I go into the Windows backup utility to do a restore, the first thing the program asks for is this .qid file. Since I cannot provide it, the program will not allow me to continue. I hope this answers your question. Please bear with me, as I am not a technician, and unable to communicate on a more technical level.
meloni
Honored Contributor

unfortunately it is lot of time that I do now work on Win98 backup, but usualy, if you backup database (the structure of the backup) go lost or corrupted, there is in the software some options to let you read data from the tape and create a new catalogue, in some versions of NTbackup, you have to double click on the tape which is recognized as not part of your system, and the operation will take place.
so chek in the backup utility for any catalogue or import command