Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Compression does not work on HP1537A

nupdyxa
Occasional Visitor

Hardware Compression does not work on HP1537A

I recently acquired a tape storage device in the SUN Enclosure. After connecting to a PC it was recognized as HP1537A. Initially unit had the "Clean" LED steady ON and would not take a tape. After firmware upgrade to the latest available it takes the tape. LT&T tests pass, although some weird messages show up "EEPROM Data not accessible", Media Errors Logged-in", "Insert cleaning cartridge". Cleaning cassette was used multiple times, but message is still there. LT&T compression test indicates that compression is enabled and returns 2.24 as a compression ratio. Now my original problem is that when doing a backup on W2K the comression gets turned off as indicated by LT&T and ratio drops to 1.26 respectively. DIP Switch setting is that #3 is off, all others are on. If unit is power-cycled the comression is enabled once again (until the backup program is launched). I would like to hear from others if there is something wrong with my unit. Is the value of 24GB (with compression) real? I tried native W2K driver 4mmdat.sys as well HP hpsys.dat without much luck. Also tried Veritas Backup software with no luck either. I am using Toshiba Portege 7140 laptop and Adaptec Slim 1480A SCSI Cardbus adapter. Attached are the LT&T produced tickets. First one is for initial LT&T compression test and the second one after the MS Backup disabled the compression.
--Thnx for your help...
2 REPLIES
nupdyxa
Occasional Visitor

Re: Hardware Compression does not work on HP1537A

Here is the second ticket (after the MS Backup is launched).
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Hardware Compression does not work on HP1537A

Hello,
I noticed that software applications can turn off compression. And there's a way to force drive not to allow to do it. There was a question here recently, but I do not remember solution - like one dip switch setup change (looks like switch #4 changed off?).
These DAT drives should be cleaned regularly - after each 5 full backups or 20 tape pulling hours. Failing to follow this rule leads to shorten drive life time.
In general I think you should check backup application (in case of NT backup try '/HC:on' key from command line) or force drive not to allow software to change this setting
Eugeny