108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hardware Compression

Davor_2
Occasional Contributor

Hardware Compression

Server: IBM e-server Pentium III
Storage: HP surestore 24DAT (internal)

I can't make it to work. I used the new tool from HP called StorageWorks Library and when I tested the Hardware Compression firstl it asked me if I want to turn it on, I said yes and at the end the test passed. The compression ratio was 2.23 to 1 what means that the compression is working.

In Backup Exec 9.1 I can store more then 12GB of data. All checkboes for hardvare compression are enabled in drive tab and in job settings. I read almost every manual I could find from backup exec and HP.

The only thing I can think of is jumper settings if this device has any?

Can some one help me with my situation. Which jumper is for compression if there is any?

Thanks
Dave

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hardware Compression

You might want to read this
More information can be seen at this ITRC forum link, pay special
attention to the comments by Dave Ruska on
how to tell in the support ticket that
compression actually occurred

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=242271

Munir!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: Hardware Compression

Yes, you can read the related postings to get some background.

> I tested the Hardware Compression first it asked me if I want to turn it on, I said yes and at the end the test passed. The compression ratio was 2.23 to 1 what means that the compression is working.

If it asked to enable compression, then it was left disabled by the app (which is not in itself a problem - most apps seem to turn off compression after the backup).

Also, since you said yes and the test did not fail, that indicates that host control of compression is enabled.

> In Backup Exec 9.1 I can store more then 12GB of data.

I assume you meant "can't store".

> The only thing I can think of is jumper settings if this device has any?

I think they are correct. You'll probably find switch #1 and #2 are on, which is the default and correct setting for compression.

> Can some one help me with my situation.

Are you sure the data you are backing up is compressible? Are you keeping the drive streaming?

See the LTT instructions in the referenced thread to view your compression statistics after a backup.

Hope this helps.
The journey IS the reward.