1748259 Members
3793 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware error: HP dat 72 internal tape drive

Ferdi Hulleman

Hardware error: HP dat 72 internal tape drive

Hello.
We have a problem with our recently acquired tape drive.
It's an HP Storageworks Dat 72 Internal Tape drive, product number: C7438A, serial number: HU10640FLR, firmware revision: ZP5A/HP.

Halfway during a normal backup, our backup software reported an hardware error: unable to write to medium. (Windows event log reports a controller error in \Device\Tape0).

LTT tools tests revealed no connection could be made with the drive.

After checking the cabling and restarting the server and upgrading and restarting LTT tools, LTT tools show the message: "diagnostic functions are operating in restricted mode".

I tried updating the firmware, but it fails with the message: SCSI TUR failure with Sense Condition, Sense Information: Sense Key: 0x4, ASC/ASCQL 0x40/0x2 (Diagnostict Failure on FRU 2 - Mechanism Error)"

The tape drive was mounted in a server running Windows Server 2003(SE) SP1.

Support ticket attached.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business) to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
Dudley Stone

I am having similar problems with the same error message. Did you ever resolve the issue above? Thx.
Support ticket attached...
Ferdi Hulleman

No. Unfortunately we have not been able to resolve the issue.
bscott

I am having exactly the same problem but with a DAT72 External USB drive
bscott

My drive has returned from the dead.

I power cycled a few times but the fault remained.

I then held in the eject button for a few seconds released it and then pressed and released it again. This caused the tape light to flicker for a few seconds but then the tape clean light came permanently on again. This action seemed to make the device go through its startup routine.

I repeated this procedure and on about the third or fourth attempt the device restarted normally!!

I am just running a test with the library & tape tools but (fingers crossed) it seems OK.
bscott

Spoke too soon.

Test completed - but with some read errors.

Tried to update firmware - this failed and I am now back where I started.
Urs Fischer

What was now the resolution for this Problem?
I have the same Problem and a tried to update the Firmware, Smart Array Controller and more... but nothing helps to fix that.
MESUT OZCAN

i have the same problem here, ay advise,
RD_Dublin
Occasional Visitor

"Error: FRU 2

Drive condition: Dead

The drive mechanism has failed its self-
test

Action:
Call for service"

This is from another DAT tape manual (an autoloader) but when I listened to my DAT72 drive I could hear the tape loading but the normal high pitch whine of the motor that drives the spinning head would start and immediately stop. It seems either the tape wasn't loaded properly or the head motor was faulty.

Time for a new drive.
RD_Dublin
Occasional Visitor

I was also getting the error from HPs L&TT

Sense Information: Sensekey: 0x4, ASC/ASCQ: 0x40/0x2 (Diagnostic Failure on FRU 2 - Mechanism Error)