StoreEver Tape Storage
1748225 Members
4717 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Has anyone ever successfully used an HP Surestore Autoloader with Win2K NTBackup?

Nick Lauro

Has anyone ever successfully used an HP Surestore Autoloader with Win2K NTBackup?

I would like to be able to get rid of the 3rd party backup tool I am using now and rely on the native NTBackup in my C5713A autoloader. The support people at the software company whose product I currently use are running out of ideas for the current problem I have.

Having successfully used 2000 NTBackup on another server with a single HP tape drive, I thought it would be easy enought to get a backup going with the autoloader as the 2000 RSM service is supposed to recognise such devices. However, I cannot get the autoloader to change onto another tape during a job using NTBackup, as it errors telling me to add media to the free tape pool. When I look in the free tape pool, the media I have prepared for the backup is actually sitting there, so what's its problem? Surely the RSM service is intelligent enough to realise that it's dealing with a media library prepared for the backup job? If anyone has successfully got NTBackup to move onto another tape in the media pool during a backup, please let me know!
7 REPLIES 7
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Re: Has anyone ever successfully used an HP Surestore Autoloader with Win2K NTBackup?

Hi,
Based from my understanding there is no way to utilize autoloaders machine from NTbackup w/o the help of 3rd party software. Though NTbackup comes originally from one of leading backup software company, but they design this more on standalone storage media as native backup itility.Automation is another way for us to use the full product version with loaders capabilities that we can find it or choose from different storage solution manufacturers.

"You should be working"
Nick Lauro

Re: Has anyone ever successfully used an HP Surestore Autoloader with Win2K NTBackup?

Thanks for the reply Allan. It's as though I expected. I can't find it anywhere on the Internet that it's possible to use 2k's native backup program in association with autoloaders. I guess that the likes of Veritas and Arcserve have written their software around the RSM service and enhaced it with featurs that can use the service to interface with autoloaders and other devices.

Back to my original software then.

One thought that springs to my mind is, how long before Microsoft start to write in features to NTBackup that negates the need to buy 3rd party software? Who knows, perhaps backup software companies are paying Microsoft not to bother!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
may be you can found your abswer here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239892

Marino
Nick Lauro

This article is the one I used to get my single tape drive working on overnight backups but it does not work for autoloaders. When it talks about:

"...a tape library that holds several tapes..."

The "Library" I believe, is a set of media (tapes) that RSM knows about, in association with scheduled backup jobs. When you go through the step-by-step instructions in this article, you do indeed prepare a "Library" for for weekly backups, but you can only issue one tape per scheduled job. That's where Veritas and Arcserve make their money.....
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I agree, RMS can only manage off-line tapes, but it seems you have to load manualy the tape in the drive.
NTbackup do not have any module for Library or Autoloaders. Probably putting in stacker mode the autoloader you will be able to load next tape if the first one is full. and that's all
marino
Nick Lauro

Until Microsoft develop the functionality in NTBackup, I guess we're all forced to spens money on 3rd party options...
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Check in the box with the autoloader, in the past HP was giving in bundle a backup software called Tapeware, great for stand alone tapes and libraries, may be you already have the software you need ;-)
marino